Palin is leaving due to a higher calling...What do YOU think?

JUNEAU, Alaska – Outgoing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Saturday laid the groundwork to take on a larger, national role after leaving state government, citing a "higher calling" with the aim of uniting the country along conservative lines.

A day after surprising even her closest friends by announcing she would step down as Alaska governor more than a year before her term was up, the controversial hockey mom was still keeping details of her future plans under wrap. But in a statement posted on Palin's Facebook account, she suggested that she had bigger plans and a national agenda she planned to push after she resigns at the end of the month.

"I am now looking ahead and how we can advance this country together with our values of less government intervention, greater energy independence, stronger national security, and much-needed fiscal restraint," she said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• JUNEAU, Alaska – Outgoing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin on Saturday laid the groundwork to take on a larger, national role after leaving state government, citing a "higher calling" with the aim of uniting the country along conservative lines.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I got excited thinking she was doing it to take care of her new baby?? who bty I think is special needs ..
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• citing a "higher calling" with the aim of uniting the country along conservative lines.

I guess she didn't read all the articles about how she is splitting her party with her antics...Saying she will speak at events, then saying she never confirmed then showing up anyways....and now that her e-mails during the campaign are coming out they are causing more of a split, not to mention fighting with the pubs in Alaska/ If she couldn't unite anyone THEN what makes her think she can do it now?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

well her and crazy Sally Kern have their work cut out for them. too bad it isnt gonna work. the more she talks the less i want anything to do with anything conservative...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• Ah that confirms what I thought. Yes she is doing what she is supposed to... you all can belly ache all you want but she is doing the right thing... it is better to obey than sacrifice. Her family is fine, even with a special needs child she can do anything.. especially with God on her side.
    People who do not know God or His ways will not understand and complain and get ugly about it. It doesn't change His plans for HER LIFE. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think that what's personal should remain personal. I'm pretty sure that whatever her reasons are for leaving are less than scandal worthy. Just because you are in the spolight doesn't mean you have to stay there forever.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I read that article in its entirety. I am not sure I buy it. She is not exactly the poster child for morality and ethics.

In the same article, her atty was threating to sue MSNBC and the like for suggesting that she was under investigation for potential indictment. Like her crying victim over her "poor treatment and special rules" via the media, it was a backhanded dig.

If she really was wanting to discuss her higher calling, there should not have been outright threats in the same conversation. I also saw her resignation speech, and she was totally off her game.

Something greater, and IMO, less positive than a higher calling is at work here. I will wait and see whate happens after the 26th.

I don't buy this put together mess. It sounds messy and feels messy to me.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think it is disgraceful that she is abandoning the state that elected her. She doesn't have anything new going on then what she had while running for Vice President. Would she have given that up? NO. She is following her own interests and those of the state be damned. What a joke.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• SusieD250

I think it is disgraceful that she is abandoning the state that elected her. She doesn't have anything new going on then what she had while running for Vice President. Would she have given that up? NO. She is following her own interests and those of the state be damned. What a joke.

This.  Yeah, she cares about the people who trusted her and put their state in her hands.

LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You don't just leave an elected office without there being some sort of nasty skeleton in the closet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2009