How to tell my boss lady that I hate this other employee and I WILL NOT be nice to her anymore!!!

She makes stide remarks, nothing is ever good enough for her, she tells lies about me and I have heard it for almost a year now. When it's me and her she stands there while I do all the stocking, I think she hates the fact that I am younger and I am her manager. When the store was short of help -it was her and the manager-now i am there and I think she's jealous of that. What am i to do now? I will not let her go smoke and I will not talk to her and I will not be nice anymore!!!

geminiblue26

Asked by geminiblue26 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, its not about being nice. You are not there to make friends, you are there to work.
    You don't have to have conversations with her...keep anything you have to say strictly work related.

Let her take her breaks that are designated to her - you can not control whether she smokes on those breaks or not, but you do not have to allow her to take more breaks than the law requires.

If you truly want to make a complaint about her, then you need to document. Document things said, attitude given, and the dates and times that they happened. Do this for a whole month, and THEN go to your boss with your documentation and explain that something needs to be done about this employee.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2009

• I totally agree w/ carolynbarnett. You are there to work. My advice to you is to remain a professional!
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• yup i agree, you can't just refuse to work with her or be civil, you are the manager it is your job to be the adult in these kinds of situations. if you have problems with her, document them and discuss them with your boss. and like above said, you can't refuse her breaks, if she wants to smoke on them than you can't stop her. as far as not stocking etc...you are the manager, tell her to stock if she refuses document it and report it to your superiors.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I just read on your blog that you just got hired less than a month ago and it's your first job in 5 years...so I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you're a manager.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would look for another job. You clearly are not management material.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would suck it up and act like an adult. Its a job and you're damn lucky to have one right now. There are hundreds of thousands of people who would love to take your place and if you think for one moment your boss doesn't know that and is going to put up with pettiness from you you are mistaken dear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Documentation is what is needed here. As a manager you are required to set an example, not everyone is cut out to be a manager. You can not play favortism with employees,you must behave as one is expected to act in a management position. Act like an adult and expect 100% from yourself and your employees will follow your lead.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I can't recommend strongly enough that you go to your local library and check out a copy of The One Minute Manager. It seems that you have not had managerial training. Look at this as a learning opportunity - you are going to learn how to manage a difficult employee.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well, saying that youre not going to be nice anymore sounds very elementary school. This isnt about being nice. Who cares how she acts towards you personally. Thats so childish. If you are her superior, then make her do her job and be the adult. If youre having problems with her, then report her to your supervisor. Thats it. YOu dont have to retaliate by saying...well, Im not going to be nice to you anymore. If you are her superior, then you have the right to make her do her job, but you also have the obligation to be fair and youre right, she likely is jealous. Most people dont do well with superiors being younger than them, but thats life. So is dealing with difficult employees. If youre going to be a manager, this will not be the last employee you have that behaves this way. Get used to it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well, depends on how badly you are needed, this is my first job in 3 years, and my position is HIGHLY in demand!

so far everything I wanted has been done for me, It's hard to find qulaified individuals for my position, besides i had been self employed for 3 years, they knew what they could be getting into.

I whined alittle yes i had a fit, but thats cause im good at my job, i do more than what is expected and asked of me and I do it so I can contibue to provide good service to my customers.

My job before the 3 years was at the same company, they know I'm a good worker, some how I always get hired and find out Im pregnant lol.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2009