COMPLAIN TO WHOM?

EVER SINCE I'VE BEEN IN THIS WHEELCHAIR I AM FINDING MANY PLACES THAT ARE NOT WHEELCHAIR ACCESIBLE AND IT IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING!!! MOSTLY WHEN YOUR OUT N ABOUT AND YA GOTTA GO PEE AND THE WHEELCHAIR DOESN'T FIT IN THE BATHROOM, OR WHEN YOUR SHOPPING AND YOU CAN'T GET THRU THE LANES, OR THE PEOPLE STARING, OR THE RAMPS ARE AT THE BACK WHY?WHY? WHY? DO I COMPLAIN TO THE STORE IS THERE SOMEONE OR A WEBSITE I CAN GO TO OR IS THIS JUST PART OF LIFE AND HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT?!
AND I NO I DON'T HAVE A NURSE OR HUSBAND TO HELP ME WHEN I'M OUT SO IT IS REALLY HARD AND JUST BECUASE I CAN'T WALK DOESN'T MEAN I SHOULD STAY AT HOME! I WANNA EAT, I WANNA GO TO A BAR, I WANNA GO SEE A MOVIE ALSO JUST LIKE YOU.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2009 in Travel

• the ADA was put into affect almost 20 years ago. the regulations are listed on this site. that will give you an idea of what the "rules" for businesses are, so you know if when you complain it is something they HAVE to do. however, as a previous retail manager and server, i can tell you if i had a guest who could not access something easily b/c of their disability and they said something, we made sure it was corrected immediately, as long as it was approached in a nice way (i can say that everywhere i've worked has met the standards, and if for some reason things were tight we would help someone, but if someone came in yelling and screaming at me, i was a little less inclined to want to help them, if someone came up to me and said something along the lines of excuse me i can't...ask for a manager, they are the ones who are supposed to maintain those standards, if they refuse go to corporate.
    http://www.chairdex.com/ada.htm
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2009