Please read fully before commenting please! I'm sick about this.

We were camping this weekend and my two year old tripped and stumbled into a smouldering campfire that was four feet away, right in front of us!! My husband had the baby and we just weren't fast enough. We were not drinking, and yes we watched our kids. Probably better than anyone there to be exact. I took him to the hospital and they dressed his wound(bald on his head now, and his whole arm and shoulder is completley melted and blistered)and said he will be okay but it is still serious. I feel so terrible. I feel guilty, I was just trying to have some quality time with my family before I start two jobs. He's happy and fine, I'm the one that is having a hard time with it. He'll have major scarring on his arm that could affect his motion. I just keep thinking, what if what if....I just want to lock my kids up until they are 30 now. The nurses told me this is common injury for this time of year, I just can't shake it..

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yeah, about slapped someone for saying,"that's what happens when you take kids camping" like that really frickin helps. Like we don't feel like shit already....
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• aww..your poor son,he doesn't yet realize what has really happened.he probably thinks it will just go away in a couple of days like a cut...poor thing..Im so sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well the good thing is he's ok. It wasnt anymore serious. Of course you feel bad, you're his mommy. My daughter got ahold of her grandmothers cup of water that had just been microwaved, she had 2nd degree burns down her chest. I felt horrible as well. Wasnt anything I could do, my daughter wasnt bothered by it. I just felt pain for her. I looked at her burns and felt bad. It comes with the job mommy. It was an honest accident and they happen. Dont be so hard on yourself. He's ok, he's happy. He's got burns but it could've been worse. Just love him :)
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 12:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. A grill got knocked over a few years ago while we were cooking out && my brother [[who was 2 at the time]] stepped on the hot coals && got 2nd degree burns on his foot. There were about 5 or 6 adults standing right there && no one could get to him fast enough. Some things you just can't prevent. Children are going to get hurt. We can't always protect him, no matter how much we want to. They also said my brother would have some scarring, but he doesn't. All the dead skin fell off && new skin grew, you can't even tell anything happened. He's 6 now.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yeah, I guess it was pretty scary, that has a lot to do with it. I just saw his entire arm raw with skin dangling off of it and the hugest blisters I've ever seen and thought I was going to either throw up or pass out. Luckily I put him straight in the car and straight to the ER...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Aww, poor little one. I hope he recovers quickly and smoothly. I would ignore what that one person said to you. You can't shelter your children from living life and no one expects going camping is going to lead to an accident happening.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Honey, you cannot drive yourself crazy with the "what ifs"...we all have been there done that. You got him the care that he needed, and that is what a good mommy does. You can't be in two places at once and you have to let your children live and have fun and explore. Unfortunately with this sometimes accidents occur. I feel terrible when my girls even get a little scrape from falling on the sidewalk. You have done nothing wrong, and how you feel at this moment is completely normal. And to be honest, you may feel the same later just because you think of that time camping...but do your best to remember that you are not super human and cannot predict the future. You are a wonderful, caring and compassionate mother who does the best she can for her kids. (Hence working two jobs) Just be thankful that he is alright and be positive. Chin up darlin.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• it will be OK! Just be thankful nothing worst happened because it could of been worse! My cousin was camping with er family (my aunt) when she was 2 and had her favorite blanket rapted around her. she always had the blanket. well she tripped as well over her blanket into the fire and had to get skin grafs on her arm she doesn't even remember it now. she is 7 now. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• And whoever said "thats what happens when you take your kids camping" needs their ass kicked. Accidents happen whether you are camping, driving, at the park, swimming or even sitting at home. It is not always preventable...granted there are parents that are neglectful, but that is an entirely different situation. This was a scary time for you and your family and that always makes you second guess your actions and what you could have done differently, everyone feels that way. Again, you did all the right things and got him the care he needed, you are a great mom....don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Breathe your not prefect no one is and your LO will b ok you were responsible enough to get him IMMEDIATE care and are looking after him accidents happen. I have had to call poison control numerous times and my youngest has had 3 stitches in one foot and my oldest a chin derma bonded i'm not a bad mom they are just overly brave and extra curious accidents happen to the best of us so allow your self a warm relaxing bath and remember your the best momma he has and just forgive your self and let go of the what if's
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 12:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2009