Whole Milk

I'm starting my son on whole milk and he will be a year old in a few weeks and I'm not sure how much to give him or how often so I'm looking for suggestions... Please no bashing just helpful advice

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just gave my son as much milk as when he was getting formula.

ex. if he was getting 6oz of formula per feeding, I gave him 6oz of whole milk instead.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If he still has a few weeks to go before he's one, I wouldn't worry too much about how much he gets right now. Let him try it straight first, maybe cold to see if he likes it, if not try it warm. If he still dosent like it, try mixing it gradually. I started the day after my DD turned one. I replaced 1 oz of water with milk for her formula and as she got used to it I increased the milk by an oz and decreased the water by an oz. Depending on how well he adjusts to it, he should be on straight milk within a week or two. And I agree with the first poster, just give him as much as you were giving him as formula. Keep in mind the best thing to do is to offer it after food so he doesnt get full of milk instead of food. If he doesnt finish all of his milk all the time, it's ok.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Replace the formula with the milk. If you're switching, that means he's eating most of his nutrition, so he doesn't need the nutrition in formula anyway, so it's just a drink and part of his daily diet.

If he isn't getting his nutrition from food, get him back on the formula (or breast milk) until he is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My pediatrician gave me a guideline of 16-24 oz a day....but not more than 24 oz. Whole milk should not replace formula until your child is getting most of his nurition from table foods. At 12 months my son was eating table meals 3 times a day with snacks in between so it was a super easy switch for us. Also, I only gave milk in a cup which helped transition from the bottle. Good luck!

calsmom25

Answer by calsmom25 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2009