Why do you think we (honestly) invaded Iraq? Should we have?

lovedwifey1708

Asked by lovedwifey1708 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This was only 9 months after 9/11. Saddam was on Bush's agenda long before that. And in the memos there is no real mention of a 9/11 connection, only ideas on how to sell it.

Saddam was on Bush's list because it was handed down from the Clinton Adm who's list he was also on. As it was justifiably on Clintons list. Do you think Saddam was just some unknown guy that nobody had ever heard of before Bush???
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• to be brutally honest...oil & to fix Bush Sr's mistakes. 9/11 gave Bush Jr the reason to go. i dont think we should have gone to Iraq, tho i am glad Saddam's cruelty was ended. we should have focused more on Afghanistan & capturing Al Qaeda than on Saddam who was no where near as dangerous to our country.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes I do, Saddam needed to be taken out.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes I do.... not only to take Saddam out... but we do not fully understand stratagy. All we see is what we are told by the media but we do not know what the top secret stuff is. I do not think it was in vain period.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No. We SHOULD have thrown all we had at al-Queda and Afghanistan, not a country with yes, a total cruel despot as a leader, but not someone who was on our national radar as an immediate threat, as al-Queda and Afghanistan were after 9/11.

And Bush had an Iraq invasion on his mind before 9/11 - the fact that he piggybacked his fucked revenge agenda onto such a national tragedy was when I began to lose faith in him as a President. Prior to that, I was supportive.

http://downingstreetmemo.com/memos.html

This was only 9 months after 9/11. Saddam was on Bush's agenda long before that. And in the memos there is no real mention of a 9/11 connection, only ideas on how to sell it.

I think that the soldiers there are real, and have honest ideals. I do not think our leaders at the time did. The whole thing disgusts me.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Oil, Vendetta.
    No, we should have never invaded.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 8:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No, we shouldn't have. It was wrong of Bush to send all those men and women to their deaths without reason.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Absolutely. It was a brilliant choice. Its just to bad some of the people who also knew the whole story decided to use it for political gain. Oil really had nothing to do with it. All the info before Bush got in office was Saddam had weapons. Regime change was also Clintons policy. The first meeting Bush had after being sworn in was on Iraq with Clintons people. Then we discovered the oil for food scandal with France and Russia, who just happened to be the two countries vocal in the UN against us invading. They were empowering Saddam and he was looking to use that to rebuild his weapons. Also it gives the US a great strategic location for the most likey inevitable war against Iran.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Carpy's got it. It was based on credible intelligence both here and from our allies.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I agree with Carpy on this one. While I have not enjoyed the 2 tours my husband has been sent on to Iraq. I do feel as if it was a much needed thing for us to do. And while Iraq was not completely invaded for the Al-Queda, there still were training camps all over Iraq for the Al-Queda. There also were high level insurgents hiding in Iraq. So not only were we able to take a horrible person out of office but we were also able to track down and capture large assets to the Al-Queda.

To be completely honest with you, Al-Queda is a group, not a country with borders. There are training camps and secret hideouts all over the Arab Nations and even in non-Arab Nations. This is a ideal we are fighting against not a country or government so while we also took out a crook and evil man in Iraq, being Iraq also helped us in our fight against Terrorism.

RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 9:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2009