How do I teach my 5 yo daughter the silent e and short vowel in a v-c-v situation?

when there is a vowel, consonant, vowel, such as like, mate, kate, tape, hate, mike, care, etc. she doesn't get that the first vowel says its name and the e is silent, she pronounces it with a long first vowel and a long e.... any suggestions? she is very bright and picked up on reading almost overnight but still struggles with this months later

lovedwifey1708

Asked by lovedwifey1708 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The silent e makes the vowel in the words you used as examples a long vowel. For example:

can---short a cane---long a and silent e man---short a mane---long a and silent e

I teach that long vowels say their name (a,e,i,o,u) and the short vowels have the different sound in my all day kindergarten class. This is for exposure and not mastery at this level.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I would find some books that repeat words like this a lot. Read them to her and have her read them to you. Practice and repetition will help her learn this tricky phonics rule.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My kids learned it by us reading along with them a lot and us saying The e makes the first vowel say it's name so the e can be quiet....shhhhhhhhhhh
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Teach her that an "e" on the end of a word is silent, never makes a sound. Period. Then when you run across the exception to that rule go with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well, I like the second answer. Teaching about long and short vowels is first. She needs to know when she sees and E on the end of a word, that makes the vowel long and the e silent. She will get it. Just give her some time. If youre homeschooling, one of the best cirriculums for learning phonetical issues and reading is the Abeka program. I do believe, in my experience, its the best and most thorough. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't. She's five, so she's already way ahead of her peers. If you push her when she's not interested it might make her less enthusiastic about learning. Teaching her the skills in a drill and practice format probably isn't what going to work best.

Try working on having her read cvce words in stories she's familiar with.  Point out to her that it sounds funny if she mispronounces it.  If she says it correctly just say, "See, you say that make... not makee."  It will be easier for her to understand when she's reading stories she enjoys. If she's looking at the words on worksheet or on their own it's harder for her to realize she's mispronouncing them.

Sounds like you're doing a great job!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• thanks ladies, those were all very helpful, she picked it up today! do you really think she's ahead though? she will be 6 i august, starting first grade home schooled, and is working on that with reading and addition and subtraction with one double digit and one single digit, she can't carry or anything yet though
    lovedwifey1708

Answer by lovedwifey1708 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2009