How do i get my kids to stop drinking any drinks after 7 so they dont pee the bed

my 3 and 4 year old always want drinks they keep peeing the bed though! how do i make them stop? They through a fit and act like they are dehydrated if i tell them no more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son always says "Im starving" or "Im just dying a thirst mommy" lol... I know better of course. I put a drink of water ina cup and let him have that. I dont give him more than enough to satisfy his thirst and it's only one time. he's happy with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Simple, JUST SAY NO!! You are in charge. The whining and moaning and manipulating will stop after you stick to your guns awhile. I think sometimes we as parents tend to not do this to avoid the annoying whining it causes. But it does stop. I don't think it's the case, but if they are really truly dying of thirst maybe get them check for diabetes, but I highly doubt thats what it is. My neice did this and so did one of mine. Stick to it Mom!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• 'don't give them anything an hour to an hour and a half before bed.. until their little muscles are trained, they need to go to bed with empty bladders.. or almost empty.
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Tell them no, and let them cry it out, once they realize the crying and excuses won't work, they will stop
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Just tell them no!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Put diapers on them. They will either stop asking for water at night or at least you wont have wet beds!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Uh, you just don't give them any...?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The AAP actually recommends NOT stopping fluids. It is not an effective way to get a child to stop peeing the bed. It doesn't help so why do it?

Kids wet the beds for many reasons. Most outgrow it by age 6. It's not something they can control.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with stopping drinks, it's not going to hurt them and it does help, give them one more small drink at 7 and tell them that's it for the night and make sure they go to the bathroom right before they go to bed.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You need to prepare them for it. Start earlier in the day and let them know what time they can have their last drink. Ask them to look at the clock from time to time and that way they are involved, and ask them... "Is it time yet?" And DON'T falter from this, because they will test you, but most likely after 1 night of this it probably won't be that hard to enforce. My oldest daughter had the same problem, and even though she wasn't drinking anything after 7 she would still pee the bed at times. I actually used to get her up in the middle of the night to go as well as limiting her drink intake of a night. Good Luck!
    TCliffman

Answer by TCliffman at 2:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2009