How soon can you get food stamps?

I guess I'm dumb for putting it off. I thought we could get along without it, but some mouths will go unfed if we don't get some help soon. I'm pretty certain we'll qualify. But anything govt run is a hassle and can take a while. Does anyone know how long it will take to get some assistance? When applying for medicaid for my pregnancy, I remember it taking over a month to actually get. I need grocery help sooner than that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• when you get the appointment and they review your case you should get the card the same day and they will give you some money the next day on it. After that it will be a certain date of every month. Thats how it was for us. In california
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• In ohio you can get the card with money within 24 hours if you have a zero icome other than tat it's within 7 days for the card to come in the mail. It didn't take me too long it's pretty much just waiting to get the actal card.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Here in PA, its just like in CA. Once you fill out the application and have the appointment you will get the card the same day and money on it the next then it will be a certain amount the certain time of each month.

Until then, you can always check with your local organziations and food pantries.

Here is some stuff I found online for you. Depending upon the state you live in.....

There are many food pantries where people in need can go to get free canned and packaged food to take home. There are also many free meals programs, such as soup kitchens and Kids Cafés, where people can go to eat cooked meals free of charge.

TEFAP is a Federal program that helps supplement the diets of low-income needy persons, including elderly people, by providing them with emergency food and nutrition assistance.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fdd/programs/tefap/

KiLora_Gifts

Answer by KiLora_Gifts at 7:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It depends on your state. In Michigan, it can take up to 30 days to review your case.

I wish I lived in CA or OH. It literally took me 36 days to get mine and I had to threaten with the law. They have 30 to review your case and give you an answer. I do believe that's with income. If you have no income maybe it's faster, IDK.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 9:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The one and only time I ever needed food stamps I remember it being just a few days. Once they authorize you and approve you, the card comes in just a few days. Sometimes they will go ahead and set it up for you even if they are waiting on more information. Like paperwork that you need to get. We only had it for 2 months, but we had no income and it was very helpful. It was a pain the big butt, but when you have to feed the kids and hubby is out of work, you do what you gotta do no matter how hard. Good luck
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Every state is different. Here in WI, you can get a temp. card w/money on it the next day and then you just gotta wait til the real card comes in within a week.
    If worst comes to worst, make sure you go to your local food pantry. Kids gotta eat.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I am in Wisconsin and was approved at my appointment and had benefits within a few weeks. It is not as much of a hassle as you think it is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009