Do you think cravings are the body's natural way of ensuring that you get the extra needed calories and nutrition?

I've heard some say it was "ll in your head" and since I am cautious to the extreme when it comes down to my weight gain during pregnancy, I question this. I mean, we all of a sudden produce milk when we have a baby. Our body naturally responds that way, so do you think it naturally responds to being pregnant? I ask this because as cautious as I am, I find myself eating more frequently, and wanting more food than I usually do, but I don't think I'm just using pregnancy as an excuse to let it be "okay."
I'm too weight-conscious to let this be my free ticket to binge, yet I notice a big change compared to when I'm not pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well... for one thing, you SHOULD be hungrier than normal, YOU'RE MAKING A BABY!! It's work for your body, so yes, your body should be telling you to eat more. And , I don't think craving something is our body's way of ensuring we get the proper nutrition because, if it were, we'd crave broccoli and only healthy and nutritional things. Most women I know, didn't crave only healthy things during pregnancy!=)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Another thought to consider is this: as your baby is developing, he is causing more weight strain on your body. If that weight is gained in the front, then you need something to help counterbalance the back (hence the booty gain). Yes, your craving may be just concoctions that all of a sudden sound good to you, but your body may also be trying to compensate for the extra weight accumulating in one specific area.
    TCliffman

Answer by TCliffman at 2:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes, I do. We may not always choose the healthy foods, but that doesn't mean we're not getting what the body is asking for. Ex. potato chip=salt, ice cream=calcium. I think cravings are directly related to what the body needs. Those cravings are filtered through our own minds and choices.
    Gwynyth

Answer by Gwynyth at 3:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• its ok to gain weight when pregnant but its not the whole "your eating for 2 " thing
    in reality you only need about 150 calories more a day
    so like a yougurt and a banana
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• 150 is what i was told by my dr but here is a good site you can use

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• when you crave you are craving what the baby lacks..so if you crave meat your baby lacks protein..if you crave oranges your baby lacks vitamin C..for me i crave meat and all types of mellons..soemtimes ill crave milk and i hate milk but that just means the baby lacks calcium.
    ilovEmma09

Answer by ilovEmma09 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I do agree with many of these ladies and the calculator for increase is about right. I took a nutrition class and yes cravings come to be a lack of something in your body. Please your cravings into a moderate amount its hard I know. Im 16 weeks pregnant and crave JUNK food, sweets, candy, grapes, all high in carbs and sugar but then again I cut all those out of diet 2 years ago so all I havent had in 2 years is what I want specially bread.
    ehall13

Answer by ehall13 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009