Anyone else have flying stinging ants??

Ok, so we live in new construction. Our neighborhood is built where a big field used to be. We have been in our house about 8 months. Ive noticed every since summer came we have these weird black flying stinging ants. But they are bigger than your average ant..with wings. They are very aggressive. I was just wondering if anyone else has had these around their house and what they did to get rid of them.. normally one would say call exterminator..but shouldnt you find where they nest? Im worried about my daughter being stung, I got stung by one today and it HURTS!

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 2:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We had this problem, when we moved into our house a few years back. They require a cool, dark, and almost damp place to live-- they had taken residence in our furnace. They lived right next to the pilot light and almost destroyed the furnace from the inside out. Also, I believe most exterminators are paid to finds nests, so if you ask around you might be able to find one who will do it for you.
    OmbreGracieuse

Answer by OmbreGracieuse at 10:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Wow, i've never heard or seen these. Home Depot is sometimes helpful. They carry such a large range of insecticides and sometimes they have someone who is knowledgeable about them. We had to look hard to find a chemical to kill carpenter bees (the bumble bee looking bug that bores holes in wood), but we found the one and only chemical and it works. We found it at Home Depot.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well, I 've never heard of flying ants but I have heard of sweatbees. They look like mix of flies and ants. Could that be them? If so they are looking for water and will land on you if you are sweating. Thus the name Sweatbee. Just trying to help.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• YES YES YES!! Those little jerks are painful when they sting too. I've been stung twice this Summer (the last time was 10 minutes ago! -The sting is all swollen up into a welt with a red center.) OUCH! I had never been stung by a flying ant before this Summer. Weird. I would like to know how to keep them away-- I do daycare and don't want any kiddos getting stung because it is extremely painful!! I think it hurts worse than a bee sting!
    Dia1978

Answer by Dia1978 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• PS.. The flying ants we have are in the yard, not inside our furnace or anywhere indoors.
    Dia1978

Answer by Dia1978 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2009

• I have been having the same problem... I think. Mine: They look like ants but have a tail end that looks like a stinger they are small. I thought they were baby flying ants (as we had these two years ago) but they aren't they are sweat bees. There are over 1000 different kids of sweat bees that can be small or big. They come around a lot when I was doing a water activity with my kids. As someone above said they are attracted to water and/or sweat.

lynsey2782

Answer by lynsey2782 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2009

• Likely you have the black wasp
    Courtney203

Answer by Courtney203 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2013