• In the Spotlight:

Do you get choked up at the American National anthem?

Every time I hear it played, whether performed live or just a recording, it chokes me up. When I'm in a public place and they're playing it, I have a hard time fighting back tears. I feel like I'm the only one who goes through this. I have no personal reason for tearing up, other than being a proud Amercian.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• during the part, the land of the free, i get chills and teary-eyed. feels good. we're lucky to live in america.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I do the same thing. I also tear up when I see a giant flag blowing in the air. I do not try to hide my tears anymore, I just wipe my eyes and show my pride in my country.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Both my husband and I , get choked up , we remember the Days when we used to go to school and pledge allegiance to this beautiful country. And know because a lot of Dumbocrats, that think we will offend others by lifting this country to GOD. Millions of soldiers through out history have given their lives for what, so that know these liberal politicians , give up our rights,,, thats we we tear up.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes, I do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It's 'cuz we're grown-ups now and I see why my mom cried all the time at the "dumbest things". ... Now I cry... at movies, to songs, at church, sometimes during sex... I guess now that you've put it out there wondering if it's normal and you're getting responses like these...you're fine...we're not dead inside!
    hermajesty2

Answer by hermajesty2 at 2:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• I get chills. I don't get choked up just get goosebumps. Don't know why. Maybe it's the subconscious fact that I know how many men and women have died for our freedoms. And when they do flyovers too I get chills. Not sure if they are good or bad chills. I also have the same thing happen whenever I hear firetruck sirens. Not police cars just firetrucks..

I'm weird...I know......(sigh)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Yes, and I hear it nearly daily. Our base plays it every day at 430 over the loudspeaker system, and everything comes to a stop. Cars pull over to the side of the road, and if you are outside, you stop no matter where you are, stand at attention or with your hand over your heart if you are not in uniform, and you listen while the song is played. It's a great reminder of the costs of our freedoms.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2009

• Yes. The national anthem is a documentary. Francis Scott Key, a lawyer during the War of 1812, could do nothing but watch from the British ship he was being held on, while the British attacked Fort Henry. Following the attack, he saw a lone American flag and that inspired him to write "The Defense of Fort Henry". It is better known as "The Star Spangled Banner" these days.

So, yes, I cry. I get shivers. I am thankful every single time I get to hear it because it is OURS. It is a reminder of a great battle that was fought on this soil in the fight to gain our freedom.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2009

• My husband is in the army. America means so much to both of us. We both tear up. When he is deployed, i bawl because this is what he's fighting for, this is why he's not standing next to me. I find it so disrespectful when people dont show our nation respect during the song... but i guess my husbands life is on line so they can do that. But that doesnt stop me from wanting to punch them in their faces. He's fighting for my right to do that too. lol
    AirborneBratMom

Answer by AirborneBratMom at 8:41 AM on Jul. 28, 2009