• In the Spotlight:

Fellow witches, suggestions and an explanation, please? (Tarot and runes)

I don't have the money to buy runes right now, but I am very anxious to learn about them and use them. They have always fascinated me. Any suggestions for low to no cost DIY runes?

Also, I heard something somewhere about tarot spells. How does that work? I can't seem to find it again, so I think I must have read it in a book I borrowed from a friend.

Thanks and blessed be!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is pretty easy to make your own runes. You can paint rocks, woodburn cut up popsicle sticks, or just write them on slips of paper (though that can make them fall weird). I suggest you seek out several souces for learning the runes as the translations are not precise & there is more than one alphebet.
    As for tarot spells, there are a few books on the subject. Basically you include the card in whatever spell you are doing to connect with or utilize the energy of that card. If you understand the tarot you can easily add them to anything you are already used to doing, as well as finding spells written specifically for the use of tarot cards.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• For the runes I was thinking maybe using small, flat pebbles to make your own set. Then I just came across this article which might help you. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art27787.asp

I'm not sure about the tarot spells though...sorry.

AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 2:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I agree, make your own rune stones. and here is a link to a book about Tarot spells http://www.amazon.com/Tarot-Spells-Llewellyns-New-Age/dp/0875426700

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:39 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thanks for those links!

Anyone have any links to runic alphabets and meanings?
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Aw! They beat me to it!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• runemaker.com

There's a guide there for laymen on how to read them, but I question some of the conclusions they have when they try to equate them to tarot cards.

You should never buy runes, only use ones you've created. There's a beginner's guide to reading them there, but you should probably spend some time studying up on the gods before you mess with the runes. The meanings are completely tied in to the virtues and the faith, and to pull the runes out of the faith and just try to read them like tarot cards, the answers you think you're getting aren't what they really mean. For example, when Tiwar talks of courage and wisdom, those words have very different connotations in heathenry than they do in the "first do no harm" religions.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yep, what they said...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• NP that is very informative.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009