whats so wrong with 'just' giving water to your child?

i see a lot of times, people say they want to give their young child something other than milk and water, but why?
i LIKE water. i drink it all day. it is very refreshing.
why do some people act like its some horrid drink they have to avoid?
my kids love water too, they see me drinking it and want to drink it too.
i havent banned juice or anything at my house, its just kept as a special treat, and no-one minds.
am i the only one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is nothing wrong with giving a child water to drink, it is much healthier for them and their teeth to drink water! Many juices are loaded with sugar!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Nope, we are the same way. It drives me nuts when we go to my moms house and she insists on giving my kids chocolate milk or juice or koolaid. The drink water and milk happily at home.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:17 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• We drink a lot of water here in this house too. Between meals all they are allowed is water. For breakfast it's usually water (sometimes milk) for lunch is usually one cup of juice ...and then water. And then water with dinner.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with giving your kids water to drink! I've been trying to get mine to drink water and milk without juice... but she throws her cup and if I leave water in there all day she still won't take it! If I add a table spoon of juice (apple) it's gone instantly!!! I'm trying to get her away from the juice and explaining when she drinks it we have to brush her teeth (she's 19 mos) and it doesn't seem to be working!! FYI she hates brushing her teeth... She drinks milk when I do, I don't really drink water so I know it's on me to get her to start.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No I drink a ton of water also. My DD loves water, we drink a ton of water in a day. But, yes i see what you mean, people will put there child to bed with a bottle/cup of milk or juice if anything put water in there. Save your childs teeth please.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I don't like the taste of water. I have started buying bottled water and it is better, but really tastes chemically to me. I like tea or coffee. :) My kids also drink tea and coffee. Suits us.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Nope. Kids need to drink a lot of water.
    Gwynyth

Answer by Gwynyth at 3:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Waters not bad, but juice and soda don't always rot your teeth. All i used to drink as a kid was soda or milk, i hated drinking water, and i've never had a cavity or any problems with my teeth. I still don't drink much water, and i can't drink milk any more, i am now lactosentalorent(sp) and i never liked juice. So all i drink is soda, sometimes tea. My son drinks milk, soda, juice, water, tea. He'll drink just about anything I give him to drink, he's not picky.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:48 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My daughter will be 8 next month and she drinks water and milk 95% of the time. She drinks juice very rarely, and she NEVER drinks soda. She hates soda more than anything lol.
    Kylie819

Answer by Kylie819 at 5:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I feel the same way! My kids drink lots of water and milk....juice is offered maybe once a month and I never allow my kids to have soda!!!!
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2009