HELP! My milk is almost gone overnight?

Almost overnight I have no milk. I still drink lots of fluids and really nothing has changed?! How do I recover without going to formula!!

mtk35

Asked by mtk35 at 7:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you know your milk is gone? Is it b/c you are no longer engorged? After a while, your body regulates itself and you no longer engorge, but still have plenty of milk.....

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My milk disappeared overnight, I never recovered it. Sometimes that just happens.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• milk doesn't just disappear unless you have taken something that could have affected it. did you start taking birth control or any other medications? why do you think it's gone? is baby nursing and satisfied? having at least 6 wet diapers/day? how old is baby? could it be a growth spurt?
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 8:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Milk does not dry up out of nowhere. First, what makes you think your milk is gone? Second, has anything changed, your diet, work, meds, illness?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There is a pill you doc can give you to help with your milk or my lactation consultant told me about teas, herbs, ect that can help bring your milk back. The main thing that will do it is increasing your demand for it. If your baby wont nurse every two hours try pumping also.. either way demand it from your body every 2 hours for a day or two and that should help.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 9:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• if you are stressed it can affect your supply and if it's tht time of the month it can affect things
    after awhile your body regulates itself so your breast won't feel full like they used too
    how old is your baby?
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Don't stop putting baby to breast- when they get on a growth spurt it can seem as if there is nothing there- just keep nursing (AND RELAX!!) your supply will adjust to the bab'y demands. There are also some supplements you can take that will help with supply and are fine with bf'ing. Alfalfa I believe and fenugreek. Good luck momma.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• What makes you think your milk is gone?

Lack of engorgement or strong let down does not mean your milk is gone.

If your child is still wetting diapers they must be getting milk.

You can also try a LC or a LLL meeting and weigh your child before and after feeding.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009