any other east indian mommas out there that are belly dancers?POIG

i am just wondering if you have belly danced your whole life after you had a child did your stomach muscles hurt like mine have been ?
i have danced since i was 3 and now a couple months after the birth of my child my stomach muscles hurt so bad when doing the most basic of moves
i dotn mean to sound mean but i dont not point this question towards the people who believe belly dancing is just shaking your butt . it is so much more then that .
if anyone can be of help , thank you in advance .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm not East Indian, but I've been following a show on Fit TV called Shimmy for a few months now. I had no idea belly dancing was so intricate. I usually try the moves during the lessons and am enjoying it greatly. The only thing is, if I do all that is being taught, it makes my back ache, so I am going to have to be more cautious, even though the dancing is great fun to do. I hadn't realized that it involved specific arm and neck motions as well as the hips and abs and chest. For exercise you are supposed to start small and build up gradually. It only takes 3 days of not exercising before muscles start weakening, so this is probably what happened to your stomach muscles. Start very small - small motions, short time, back to where your muscles don't hurt, if you can, and then build up. Also check with your doctor about timing on this in case you need more recovery time before starting.

Answer by Bmat at 8:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• obviously ment PIOG *** lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• ok thanks
    i didnt even think of that
    i was on bedrest all 9 months so no working out for me lol
    its been almost 3 months so i thought id try it again but it hurt so bad almost felt like cramping so low it almost felt like my uterus ! ugh
    i do plan on calling my dr in the morning
    isnt it fun to do tho? i have loved it since i started learning from family .
    its a major tradition in our family well in our culture too lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• How wonderful that you have the family tradition! How amazing it would be to learn the art from family. :)

I love what I am seeing on the program. I checked on buying a DVD but haven't found one I liked yet online. So for right now I am recording the TV show.

Good luck with getting started again. I expect that in no time you'll be enjoying dancing again.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• lol thanks
    have you checked out amazon.com
    they usually have great deals on those things
    one of my girlfriends found some dvds she liked lol she got jealous and wanted to learn behind my back to try to show me up lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• and these 2 ladies are wonderful !

http://www.bellytwins.com/sh_dvd.htm

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thank you for the suggestions! I looked on Amazon but wasn't sure what to get. I'll check out your suggestions today.

Answer by Bmat at 9:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• anything by the twins is great !!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you can youtube them to see what its like just youtube search belly dancing twins
    it will pull them up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009