If you breastfeed, how did you transition your baby from cosleeping to their own bed?

When my daughter turns 1 and i switch her to whole milk I want to switch her to her own bed after shes on whole milk for at least a month. if you done this when your child was around one how did you do it successfully?

bluerose26

Asked by bluerose26 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We never co-slept so it was never an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Same as other person. We never co-slept and it wasn't a problem. I think you are going to have a big problem with this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I didn't reply sooner, because I was waiting for some moms who have coslept to help you out, and I expect that there will be some responses from them soon.

Meanwhile, I wonder if you could bring her crib up next to your bed for a while and put her in it. You would still be nearby, as you have been before. Then gradually move the crib away until it is in her own room- over several days or weeks, I mean. The only other thing I can think of is to put her in her crib in her room and sit by her, maybe even with your arm over her, until she falls asleep. And after a while just sit in the room, and gradually move into your own room- again- over days or weeks. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i co-slept and breast fed till 15 months. my son is 18 months now and he JUST went in his own room in his own bed. We made it a HUGE deal for him. Painted his room his favorite movie theme, got him a twin bed and just put a toddler rail on it and he loves it! He's been in it since which was three weeks ago! Consistences, persistence! Keep putting her back in her bed and she will be just fine BUT do not do it after you stop nursing. My son was uber clingy for two months after the boobie. Your baby will be shell shock if you do both things at once and she wont understand. Good luck hope this helps
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• oh might i ad. that i just waited till he feel asleep to lay him down...he didn't have a problem with it at all. Once he got use to waking up in his room and knowing when he woke up i was soon to follow it was easy to just lay him down sleepy eyed.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:28 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• MY son nursed until he was about 15 months or so. He just got his own bed about two weeks ago, at 18 months. My opinion is to not make several big changes at once. We weaned and got him thoroughly used to that. We watched for cues that he was ready for his own space. Then we made a huge deal about his big boy bed. He came with us to get the bed, picked out bedding he liked, and played on the mattress in the living room while it aired out for a week. By the time we set it up and put him in it the first time, he was actually pretty excited about it.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I should add, his bed is in our room for another couple weeks. When he goes to bed, I don't go in every time I hear a squeak. Except for being sure that getting up time is 45 minutes before I'm ready to peel myself out of bed, he's gone from waking up multiple times per night to sleeping solidly for 11 hours - in just under two weeks. Be consistent - every nap, every bedtime in her own bed. Be calm, tell her she's a big girl, use whatever bedtime routine works for both of you. I haven't taken away the bedtime cuddle to sleep yet because I know my son still needs that. Once he's used to sleeping in his own room, we'll slowly move away from that. Once he's down he can self sooth just fine so I don't expect any trouble when that change comes.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 9:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If ur having some trouble w/ getting them 2 sleep, try using ur pajama shirt/top turned inside out, & placed by the head or if u let them sleep on a pillow put it under the pillowcase, & ur "scent" will b on the shirt. An easier way is 2 get a washcloth & rub it in ur hair/sleep on it a few days, then let the baby "snuggle" kit The babe should calm down. It worked w/both of our girls.
    Pipersmom2006

Answer by Pipersmom2006 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My son nursed until 11 months...he's 2 now..we still co-sleep. We have no problem with it. My son does have a toddler bed in our room. He will lay down, read a book, but he usually comes to our bed. He sleeps in his bed for naps and if he falls asleep in his bed we will leave him there.
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 10:57 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• im in the middle of switing my lil one also,ive been putting her in a toddler bed for naps during the day
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:01 AM on Jul. 5, 2009