brownish color discharge

I have had a brownish color discharge for 3 wks. There is no pain, cramping, odor, or discomfort a little bloating and irratibility but no other symptoms of period. at 1 1/2 weeks I went to an ob who basically told me it was old blood and not to worry about it it will quit and next month will be heavier. when it didn't stop at 2 1/2 weeks I called the same ob and he told me to start birth control because that will regulate my periods. I understand that is one of the uses for birth control however me and dh are trying to get preggo. I underdstand that you can't get preggo without ovulating but taking bc will just prolong the events so does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could do or should do is there another medicine to take. The ob knows that we want to bet preggo but he still suggested bc just for a couple of months I wanted to go to my family dr. but decided that ob's probably had more expeiriance in this area

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Health

• I would not take the bc. You are trying to get prego and bc prevents it.. after coming off bc, you still have to wait 2-3 months before normal ovulation, prolonging the process. As for discharge, how do you know you're not ovulating? Have you used those home ovulation kits? I would try another ob's opinion. Family doc isnt' know going to know anything.
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 9:27 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• doesnt sound like the doctor is much help but then again that is the first thought I had "its just a prolonged period". If you take bc though you shouldnt TRY to get prego for several months. You need that out of your system before you try. It's best. I too would go to another ob or family doctor.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It is surprising that the doctor made this diagnosis without an exam and bloodwork. Find a new doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009