I found a very small precious dog in the road last night. We think its a Yorkie-poo. That was what our research led us to. Does anyone know anything about these dogs?

Its a poodle/yorkie mix. Thats what we think anyway. We found this tiny 4 lb dog running down a main two lane road and it almost got ran over. My dh stopped and picked it up because it was obvious that it didnt belong in the street. Its the sweetest dog, loves to be held and even had a ponytail in her hair. We know someone is missing their baby right now but I wonder how she ended up in the street. I asked the man that lives right there where we found her but he said he didnt know and he didnt know his neighbors too well. This is a very rural area and people have acres of land. Theres no subdivisions. So my kids have loved, carried, fed, fought over and just spoiled this dog to pieces in the last 12 hrs. We took her to see fireworks and my kids have bonded with her already. I told them that we might have to give her back if we find her owner. I dont want bogus people answering any ads, so how do I find her owner w/out that?

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 9:54 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pets

• I tried to post a picture of her, but I couldnt figure it out. Copying and pasting didnt work. Shes definitely a lap dog and someone has been feeding her table food, because she wont eat off the floor and she wont eat dog or cat food. She wants people food. My teen has taken to her so well that she might not want to give her up. We want her but I feel its only fair to try and find the owner. I can help but thinking that someone is missing their 'baby' right now. I feel angry about finding it in in the road though. I know accidents do happen, but this dog was clearly not familiar with its surroundings. What would you ladies do?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:58 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• When I found a dog on the side of the road that was obviously owned, I took it to the local shelter. I told them that it was every intention of mine to adopt the dog if the owner didn't show up. They gave the owner four days to come in and look for her.....four days later I had my pup. Maybe you could do this?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• oh okay. Im new to this town, so Im not exactly sure of the way things work and where the animal shelter is, or even if there is one. I will try and find it tomorrow. Im keeping the dog while they look for the owner though. I might just call over there and leave the information with them about her so if someone comes looking for her. Thats the only way I will know if its legit. If I put up signs, I know I will get every Tom, Dick and Harry telling me its theirs. Apparently according to the research ive done, this dog is a fairly expensive dog. Thanks for the suggestion.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Call your local vets. A pet like that is expensive and usually is microchipped. They may have suggestions for you. Our animal shelter can read all microchips and locate the owners. Good luck to you.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The 4th of July is the day that most dogs end up lost. It's because fireworks scare the day lights out of them and they take off running and get lost. All small breed dogs are very expensive. I would check craigslist, and animal control to find out if someone reported her missing. The PP has a good idea with checking of the vets office can ID her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yep, take it to a vet so they can scan for a microchip. More than likely the poor pup was freaked out by the fireworks and made a run for it. I'm sure the owners miss it. Good luck!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Last night was the 4th of July and all the fireworks probably scared the poor little thing half to death and she freaked and got out and took off running. Take her to a vet and have them wand her for a microchip. If she is not chipped, make flyer's saying "Found: small brown (or whatever color) dog, Identify to claim." and put them in all local vet's offices and up around the area you found her, and maybe in stores bulletin boards, etc. Make it enough that a person would recognize their own dog, but not somebody else to claim her fraudulently. You might also check the lost and found ads, because they are probably frantically looking for her on their end.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You could just say you found a yorkie poo and the real owners will know she had a pony tail in her hair.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 3:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies. Im not going to spend HUGE amts of time on this. I will call the local animal shelter and take it to the vet to see if its chipped, but after that, if we run into dead ends, I am keeping her. My daughter has already bonded with it, named it, put a bow in its hair and now shes going to dress it up. OMG...shes 15 by the way and I guess she needs a project right now.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well I hope somebody doesn't see your child walking down the road by herself and decide to keep her because they "bonded with her". and "need a project right now"...
    Anonymous