What else can I do?

Started with a sore throat and thick mucus about 4 days ago. Been drinking chicken broth with garlic, eating salted pretzel sticks, taking antioxidants and a B-complex, trying to drink, drink, drink... Also taking Benedryl and Sudafed, plus the last 2 nights a Mucinex. I've also slept the past 3 nights with a turtleneck dickie under my nightgown and Vicks slathered on my throat. This is on it's way to a sinus infection, but other than the sore throat, thick mucus, and now a bit of an achey ear, there is no fever.

Is there anything else I can do to cut through the mucus that's making my throat so sore? I'm miserable!

PSMother

Asked by PSMother at 10:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Health

• The more medication you take, the longer it will take for your cold to leave. You need to blow your nose as you can, steam, steam, steam in the bathroom to loosen it up. Saline nasal drops to help loosen it, too.

Getting the mucus out of your body is how you get rid of the cold. Stick to drinking water to help keep the mucous thinned out. The old wives tales don't help.
    Anonymous

• honey (antibacterial) mixed with cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory)
    no dairy (mucus producing)
    lots of peppermint (natural decongetant) tea
    saline rinse with a neti pot

Answer by rkoloms at 3:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009