Has this ever happened to anyone besides me? Major financial glitch that has caused me great stress and tears. How do I resolve this?

I dont know why I automatically feel like Im going to have to fight Dell and the bank on this issue, but I do. I ordered a laptop through Dell.com because my husband gets a corporate discount through them. I had the cash that I had saved for this purchase and I put it in my acct and paid for my computer with my debit card. I buy lots of things online so it wasnt really a big deal. They sent me an email verifying what I ordered, then another email confirming that they were processing my order. Both orders stated WHAT I ordered, HOW many, and the COST. I received an email when my order shipped out. I knew that my card would be charged at that time as well, so I checked my acct. I was horrified at what I saw. It looked like I was minus $610. I clicked my acct and had to look for a minute. I saw my charge from dell for $443 and then I saw ANOTHER $443 that I obviously didnt have. They charged me twice and for me...$400 is a LOT

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 10:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• of money and I dont keep that kind of extra money all the time in my acct. I had some other minor charges that didnt have funds to cover them because of the extra money being gone, PLUS the amt of fees I was charged didnt help. I called Dell and he explained that my order had been duplicated. Fedex brought me TWO laptops that day. I only ordered one and I have confirmation emails for only one. This is not my fault and though dell was compassionate about my issue, they couldnt refund the money until they got the computer back. I get that, but how do I get dell to pay me back the fees they caused? Will they do that? I am hoping that bank and Dell will work together to fix my account. Both have good customer service and value me as a customer. Im just so devastated that this could happen. Nothing but a computer glitch and its caused a huge mess. Ive always paid cash for everything to stay out of debt. Now I feel jilted.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If you talk to your bank, they will most likely put the money back into your account. Print out the emails as receipts....you have proof. If the bank gives you trouble, call Dell and explain the issue. Worst case scenario, they will just have to refund you the money and if they shipped you two computers, you'll have to send one back. Also, your bank should remove any overdraft fees due to this. I've had things similar happen and not only did they put the money back into my account because it was unauthorized for Dell to withdraw that much and the bank took off all overdraft fees. You'll be fine, you just have to get it straightened out. The bank is closed today, but call them immediately tomorrow morning. Good luck! :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Thanks Stefanie....yes, I have two computers. I do have to send one back, but I did find a family member that wants to buy it. They might not have a problem with me selling it to someone so that they dont have to refund my money, but they do need to fix my problem with the overdraft fees. I think last I counted, it was at 9. Nine times 30 is a lot of freakin money. I had lot of little charges from that day where I had paid for a car wash, a few rugs, gas, food. Just little things and no matter how small, I get charged the full $30 for each. Its painful to even look at. Maybe Im just overreacting. The bank will likely treat me better than I am thinking.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You can file a dispute at your bank called an affidavit of unauthorized entry. One of the options on that form is that you authorized xxx and they took out zzz. Even if Dell is going to refund you, filling that form out will help you get back your fees and also get a temporary credit to your account while Dell resolves the issue, so you don't stay in the negative.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• When you send back the computer, get a tracking number and insurance on it. Or, is dell sending you a shipping label so that they pay for the return? They should be paying for it, TBH, so if they're not I'd call and ask for one.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 2:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Dell is scheduling a fed ex pickup for the other laptop. Yes they are paying to return it by sending fed ex back to my home to get it at no charge to me. Dell's customer service so far has been great and the email the rep sent to me said that he was personally taking responsibility for the situation until it was resolved to my satisfaction. Thats good to know. I felt so helpless because I couldnt get it resolved in one day.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Call your bank and tell them you were charged twice by Dell on your debit card and they will help you resolve it. You only have a certain amount of time to dispute the charge, so don't keep waiting or you will be held responsible for any and all charges to your account.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009