I forgot to post about this one! Does anyone know what will happen to this lady?!

Okay, I have a high risk dr, and they do a biophysical on my baby every week. That basically just means they strap me in and monitor the babys heart rate and movements. Well, last week when I went in for my appointment the girl who was checking in ahead of me REEKED of booze. After she checked in she sat in the waiting room and was fighting with her boyfriend. She kept saying "Why is everyone staring at me?" WE WERE THE ONLY TWO WOMEN THERE! I wasn't even looking at her, I was reading a book. She went back, I went back.... the booths where they monitor the babies are the kind with the sheets hung in between. It was pretty obvious when the nurses were talking to her that she was drunk because she was slurring her speech and being really loud. She said she couldn't feel the baby move for a day or so. I was really trying to ignore the whole happening, (con't)

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 10:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well, no I dont think that they can do anything. As long as shes of age to drink, she can do whatever she wants. If it leads to demise of the baby, then those are her consequences. She didnt do anything illegal. If the mother is known to be using illegal street drugs such as heroin, cocain or meth, then yes, they can take the baby from her at birth. That happens all the time, but if she wants to drink and be drunk, then its her choice. Its a stupid one and it makes her look like a totally selfish person to do that to her baby, but shes old enough to conceive so shes old enough to choose. I feel badly for this child though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:03 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• but I can't wonder...what happens to that girl if she was drunk and the baby really wasn't moving? Is that child endangerment?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I know that in some states if you test positive for drugs while you're pregnant that they CPS can take the baby when it's born. I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar laws with alcohol. That's absolutely disgusting. How could someone behave like that while they're pregnant? She has to either be an alcoholic...or really, really selfish....or possibly both.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was amazed and horrified. I mean, I know there are some women who act that way, but to actually SEE it. I know they collect a urine sample at every appt. I know the nurses knew because of the way they were acting around her and the looks she was getting, so I'm betting they tested her urine. Can she be arrested for that, though?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I truely don't know. It is really a shame that things like that go on. I pray for her and her baby.
    BettyBoo108

Answer by BettyBoo108 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• That makes me so sad :(
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Hopefully, the staff did their jobs as mandatory reporters and called CPS on her. Sounds like she needs some serious help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009