Are you a fantasy-prone personality?

These are people who not only lead a rich fantasy life but seem to blur the lines between fantasy and reality. There are 14 characteristics of fantasy proneness: (1) being an excellent hypnotic subject, (2) having imaginary playmates as a child, (3) fantasizing frequently as a child, (4) adopting a fantasy identity, (5) experiencing imagined sensations as real, (6) having vivid sensory perceptions, (7) reliving past experiences, (8) claiming psychic powers, (9) having out-of-body or floating experiences, (10) receiving poems, messages, etc., from spirits, higher intelligences, and the like, (11) being involved in “healing,” (12) encountering apparitions, (13) experiencing hypnagogic hallucinations (waking dreams), and (14) seeing classical hypnagogic imagery (such as spirits, religious figures and aliens)

Could this explain some religious 'sightings' and the like?

How many of these characteristics do you exhibit?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have or have had all of them but 1, 4, 5, 10 and 11, and the only reason I haven't had one is because I haven't tried it yet. And I agree with you completely Ihartu, that we all had to have our past experiences to make us who we are. And I definately believe that these things are what make some people more "open" to religious and paranormal occurences then others. Does it mean every person who has had one is crazy? I don't think so, but that just my opinion on the matter.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Ooh yes, I very much have a fantasy-prone personality. I always have and probably always will. But I'm still not religious. Strange, huh?!

I identify with 2, 3, 4, and 6. I would spend hours and hours playing with my imaginary friends as a child. I began to write fiction stories at age 9. I wrote my first novel at age 13 or so, but it was a fanfic and it wasn't good enough to be published anywhere, hahaha. But I did use it for a project in high school, and my teacher gave me an automatic 100 because it was above and beyond the requirements for the lesson.

But yeah, I totally see where you're coming from. I think a lot of it is self-fulfilling prophecy. If you go into a creepy, "haunted" house expecting to see ghosts or apparitions, any little bump in the night might make you think you've seen something.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I love this type of stuff. Anything psychoanalytical just fascinates me. I have 1 or 2 of those characteristics. I tend to kind of go off in my own daydreaming world sometimes either reliving something that happened or what I wanted to happen. I replay scenarios in my head. Its actually qualities that I find quite annoying, but I zone out quickly if I am alone and just thinking. Generally though I know whats reality and what isnt.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:51 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• yes..except for 1 and 9..i've experienced all of those 'characteristics'. i suspect anyone who is open to receiving 'sight' can, and that could explain a lot of things, religious and otherwise.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:00 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The mind is such a strange and wonderful thing, isn't it?

I never had imaginary friends, but because my childhood was so dysfunctional, I often escaped into other worlds I created and I loved to 'pretend' all the time. I've also had numerous paranormal experiences, but never any religious ones.

Someday I'd like to be hyptnotized, just to see how easliy I would go under.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:04 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I've tried to hypnotize myself but it never works. You really have to be open to it, and I've always been really skeptical : /

I replay bad stuff in my head over and over and I can't stand it. I obsess over past experiences and how I could have done them differently. I have to consciously force myself to think about something else or else I'll get depressed over it. Blah.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I tend to over-think everything and plan out things in order to not make mistakes because I fear exactly what you're talking about caitxrawks. I've had some bad things happen to me, but because it wasn't something I personally did, but things others did to me, I tend to be able to move on and not dwell on them. I feel like my past has made me what I am today; I needed to go through what I did in order to get where I'm at now.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:15 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Should I get my head checked, because I think I over qualify, and my son's even worse than me? Could I have passed it on to him in some way? Even if it just encourages his dreams, imagination and so forth? That explains why I am easily let down.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Oh my.....no, I have never experienced ANY of those. None of those characteristics or events .....I am too much of a realist to believe and I would rather stick with reality/. I operate with proven facts . No ghosts...LOL. No imaginary playmates. None of it. I giess I am not a good candidiate for "being saved" or being "born again" or believing in angels or hearing God speaking to me. Good grief. @@
    Anonymous

• mumma28,

As long as you are still rooted in reality, I think you're fine. Some fantasy is healthy, but it's when people start thinking those fantasies are reality, that there is a problem!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009