Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever had a firework go horribly wrong?

My neighbors across the street had the big boom up-in-the-sky illegal in NC fireworks last night. Obviously they didn't know how to set them off, because the container fell over and the fireworks exploded on the ground more than once.

Funny thing is, after it went "BOOM!" and the sparks appeared everywhere, they just went "Yayyy!" and clapped. Near-death experience, yayyyy! :D


Asked by caitxrawks at 11:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 17 (3,823 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (16)
  • Me personally, I only had one, but it was REALLY stupid. I was about 7 years old, and my parents had their beer bottles set up so my brother and sister and I could set up our bottle rockets. Well, I set one up, lit it, and it didn't go off like I thought it would. So I went up to it and stuck my face right above it and of course it went off right then. It was terrible. I had all sorts of burns on my face. Needless to say, I don't touch bottle rockets ever. I like fireworks and all, but I am really weary of them now.

    Last night was amusing to say the least. I also live in NC, but of course everyone goes to SC to get the aerial fireworks. So, the neighbors all around us were lighting things off. We were outside enjoying the shows that other people were putting on and listening to all the firetrucks the whole time as well. My husband and I thought it was semi-amusing.


    Answer by SecretSuzy at 11:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • My ex-SIL is afraid of fireworks, because she was burned by one when she was younger. Last year, she decided to sit outside and watch them with us anyway. Wouldn't you know one jumped off the ground and straight at her. It burned her hair and burned a whole in her shirt through to her skin. I felt so bad.

    Answer by AngieG. at 11:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • These NC guys are scary. Once, in NC, we had the canister fall over, the firework took off and hit the host in the thigh. It then exploded between his feet as he did quite a dance. We didn't clap and yell though. It scared him and us!

    Answer by jesse123456 at 11:43 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • When I was 8 or 9 me, my mom and my dad were sitting in our garage tying about a 100 packs of fire crackers together for our grand finale. My dad found pack of jumping jacks (those ones that spin and change colors...oh how I hate those things), lit it and tossed it out the door. One jumped back into the garage and lit all the fire crackers off. We had about 1000 of those things sitting in our laps. My dad threw me into his workroom and jumped on top of me. The sound was deafening and I had burn marks all up and down my legs from the fire crackers exploding. My mom got the worst because she had a couple hundred go off in her lap.
    We stumbled out of the garage about 30 seconds later, shaken, legs like jello, coughing from the smoke and with a loud ringing in our ears. We were lucky, though, because right next to us was a big box of rockets of all sizes. We could have been killed or set the garage on fire with us in it.

    Answer by justanotherjen at 11:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • Yes it has happened. When I was younger my mom lit some of those fireworks that you light and it blows up and makes a snappin noise. Well when it blew up, the debris flew right in my face. The funny thing was, I wasn't standing close to it or anything.

    Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • When my husband was younger (like 16 or so), he and some friends were setting off fireworks. They had one that they'd never done before, and they accidentally put it upside down. They didn't realize it until it went off and the entire street shook from the pressure of the blast. He said some of the neighbors from up the road thought a bomb went off.

    I don't touch the fireworks, because I'm just not good at lighting things.

    Answer by makelineerror at 12:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • Last 4th of July, I was at my fiance's house lighting off fireworks with his brothers and his friends. Someone put a firework on the groud but aimed it the wrong way. It was supposed to be facing up but it was laying on its side. He lit it and it came shooting right at us! It was soooo scary! We all went running and I think a couple people got hit by it. My fiance has a long driveway and no yard around it so we really had no place to run except straight so it was hard to get away from all the sparks. Haha its funny now but it wasn't then.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • When I was little and visiting my dad in Dayton Ohio we let off fireworks and the one that my dad set off hit the house next door at set the roof on fire they had to call the fire department to get the fire out before it damage the entire house and ours it was scary

    Answer by aubrees_mommie at 12:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • One time I was playing with sparklers and leaned to sit down and the whole lawn chair was up in flames! Who would think a sparkler could be so destructive?? And one time my family was doing roman candles and I was walking across the yard. My brother shot on a few feet in front of me but it arched and I walked perfectly into it. It hit super hard and singed my shirt. I was shot in the boob! I walked away with a bruise. So no near death experiences. Just stupidity at its finest.

    Answer by bluelady27 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • HAHA my dad just told me a story about what happened at his house last night. He lit off one of the mini aerial fireworks, but it fell over right before it went off. It ended up going straight towards all the guests, then it turned and headed for the woods, then it turned again and went back towards the guests. Ohhh, I missed all the fun.

    Answer by caitxrawks at 1:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2009