Bumbers in Cribs

My daughter will be three months old next week. We have not used any bumpers in her crib due to what I've read about them, but lately I"ve noticed she is "inching" her way to the top of the crib and is hitting her head against the wooden slats. I am concerned because I don't want her to get hurt. It's becoming a problem. Is it Ok to put the bumpers back in the crib, therefore eliminating this problem? But on the other hand, I don't want to worry about SIDS or any other things that can arise with using them. Does anyone use them in the crib? Any advice would be great at this point!!!!!

Gianna15

Asked by Gianna15 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard about "breathable" bumpers. Maybe look into those.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Bumpers are safe providing they are securely fastened to the crib slats (double knot the strings before tying).

I used an infant body positioner to keep my children from rolling over while sleeping until they were old enough to roll over and back proficiently--around 6-7 months. Keeping pillows and blankets/comforters out of your daughters crib--just using a fitted sheet over a waterproof mattress protector and "sleep sack" on cool nights is all she needs at this age and will eliminate accidental suffocation.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I didnt use one at first but at 3 months I put them back on and used a bumper until my girls were pulling themselves up. We had the same problem. Some mornings my one daughter would have indentations in her head from the slats. They eventually went away throughout the day but it really scared me. My Dr said it was ok because their heads are very soft at this point and it was no worse than squeezing through the birth canal so she was fine.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 11:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Bumpers don't have a damn thing to do with SIDS. If they come loose, they can cause suffocation, but that is not SIDS. Two totally different things.

If you want to put them in, do so. Make sure they are secure and protect her little head to keep her from waking up with bruises along the top of her head because of sleeping on the slats. (happened to my son!)
    Anonymous

• I used bumpers with my first two babies and plan to with my third. As long as they are securely attached it's not a problem.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It's ok that she's bumping her head.

Once she can roll over, her arms and legs may get stuck in the bars. Again, it's unlikely that she will get hurt due to that but she may wake up many times at night screaming. That's a good time for the bumper pads. They'll keep her limbs from getting stuck and let you both sleep.

Remember to take them back out when she learns to pull herself up to standing. She will quickly discover that she can climb a little higher if she steps on the bumper pads.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Just put a bumper in, bumpers don't kill babies. My child sleeps so much better with a bumper because it makes her crib a lot more cozy.
    Anonymous

• She can only suffocate from a bumper if she has her face buried in it. A lot of babies sleep up next to it but very very rarely is their face so deep in it that the can't breathe and even if they find themselves in that position their brain automatically tells them to roll over. Of course this doesn't work if they aren't old enough to roll over, however if that is the case then they could probably never roll over to the bumper in the first place.
    Anonymous

• I'm so tired of every book and expert who scares you into everything. If people relied a little more on common sense and paid a little more attention instead of believing everything you read without a little more examination....

My son is 5 wks old. His crib bumpers are in, and everyone is right about it not being dangerous unless they are loose. If you are worried about him rolling into them, I prop a rolled towel along his back if I put him on his side. I also check him often, if that's the case. Don't put additional crap in the crib.

Oh, and I also don't swaddle him because he hates it, as he does body positioners. I also - OH NO! - on occassion during the day (never at night) LET HIM SLEEP ON HIS STOMACH if he is so inclined, and again, check him often. He also goes back and forth from bottle to breast, and doesn't always wear socks. I'm pretty sure he'll be ok.
    Anonymous