Have you been Terminated from a Government Job during probation unfairly?

I was recently let go after 11 months of work for the VA Boston Healthcare System. I have never been fired from any job in my life. What is worse was that I received an Award for Excellance in May, 2009 as well as a "Fully Successful or Better" review in April of 2009. I did not have any negative remarks about my work. I always felt that my female boss was threatened by me though. I don't kiss butt and she likes to have her ego boosted. I was not unpleasant at all, my nickname was sunshine in fact! This is why I am so bewildered by being let go. Not only that, but she built up a false case against me and flat out lied about me to the Chief of our department. I feel like I was hit by a ton of bricks. All of my previous bosses were men. I am hoping to find some sort of recourse I can take because I have documentation supporting my performance and they don't have anything but words. Help!

Mom2LeahNathan

Asked by Mom2LeahNathan at 11:56 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• There should be a review board or something that you can take your case too. I can't remember exactly what it is called but I know my husband talked about it when someone from his work was fired without just cause. I'll ask him when he gets up (he works nights). In the mean time make sure you document everything that you can remember.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Try contacted the EEOC

Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If it is during your probabtion, they can terminate you for NO reason at all. That is what the probationary period is for. You can contact EEOC (look in blue government pages in the phonebook) and explain to them what happened, they will tell you if you have a case or not and they will help you with the process if there is a case.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If you were in your probation period you probably won't have any recourse. You can still look into it. We only have your word here you did nothing wrong most people who are fired say that. I would start looking for a new job and let this go.
    Anonymous

• I had a lawyer look into this. The lawyer was almost overly eager (no pay unless he wins too) to get started at a lawsuit and was sure that we would win because of the 200 plus pages of docs I had on my side to support my case. Call me crazy, but I decided I want to just let it be. I did not want to fight a legal battle with the Govt. in addition to the fact that I am having Spinal Reconstructive Surgery next month (I'm disabled), which is the first surgery, but it might not be the last because my condition is a birth defect that I was just living with before. I am also enjoying this time with my hubby & kids, our finiances are not dire, I have always wanted to finish writing my book, so now I have time for that, and I missed being a homemaker too. In short, I am happier now. I also read a forum online that had TONS of people let go from the Govt like I was & they were miserable fighting. Life is too short, you know?
    Mom2LeahNathan

Answer by Mom2LeahNathan at 12:09 AM on Aug. 21, 2009