My seven month old son was just diagnosed with mild eczema on his face and abdomen does this mean he will have allergies will he outgrow it neither me nor my husband have it?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 11:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is not so much allergies as skin sensitivity. My son also has eczema and we just have to watch what laundry soap, bath soaps, and lotions we have to use. He is 4 and we still use baby soap! He may out grow it, but I am sure it will be a while. Just get used to using free and clear and hypoallergenic
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 12:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• One never outgrows allergies. If one later is not "allergic" to something, it is not an allergy, it never was an allergy, it was a sensitivity.

All my kids have areas on their bodies with it. It's just something that happens sometimes to kids.
    Anonymous

• My ds did have exact problem as baby and did eventually outgrow it. He is 12 and we use mild soap but have no more problems with eczema.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:12 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• It depends on what type it is. It's hard to say. Mine have chronic dermatitis, they will always have it. Time will give you your answers. No one here can say if it will or won't go away with age for your child. You just have to wait and see. It's not necessarily genetic.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My daughter has sensitive skin and the eczema pops up 1-2 times a year. She has a prescription cream we treat it with and then she'll be fine. She doesn't have any allergies, so I don't think the two are related.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Both of my kids had eczema and although one is allergic to cats, that's it. My oldest completely outgrew the eczema, and my youngest, who is now 4 has a flare up maybe twice a year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• my daughter had mild eczema as a baby, too. it was pretty mild-- flaky rashes around her face, back, and tummy. we used eucerin intensive repair lotion twice a day, and didn't bathe her every day. the doc said that it could cause some drying. her doc prescribed hydrocortisone when it got bad (i could be wrong about the prescription, it's been a while). she eventually outgrew it. my second daughter had the same problem and also outgrew it. but there's no telling if your child's eczema will be chronic or not, you'll just have to wait and see. you'll need to be more careful with the products that come in contact with your baby's skin, but it's not the end of the world.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 12:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If you vaccinate, the eczema could be a reaction to the vaccines by his immune system; I know several moms where vaccines were the trigger. You could try delaying any further vaccines and see if the eczema clears up.

"The exact cause of eczema is unknown, but it's thought to be linked to an overactive response by the body's immune system to unknown triggers." http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/eczema

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Anon is wrong. Allergies can change every 3-5 years. And YES, your child may outgrow the eczema. My oldest had severe break outs [mainly on the face] when he was an infant and now that he's 3 he hardly ever breaks out. We have also been told by quite a few allergy doctors that eczema, asthma, & allergies all go hand in hand so to watch out for the other 2. My son has the eczema, asthma, & tons of food allergies. It isn't the same for every child but deff. something to look in to.
    lizafur13

Answer by lizafur13 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My son has that issue on his body as well. It means he inharited it from either you or your spouse. It is a condition that will never go away and can worsen with certain allergic things such as: soap,shampoo,perfumes,certain clothes,wool,lotions,etc. My son is 2 yrs old and I use a special cream I got from Wal-mart to help the rash go away and relieve the ichiness. Once you find out what is flaring up the rash stay away from those items and the rash should stay under control or/and go away.
    Anonymous