Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to change my daughters last name....

My daughter is almost five and has my last name... I'm wanting to change her name when I get married How hard will it be to change her name if her biological dad doesn't want to agree to it? He's not in her life and hasn't been I know he's going to want to relinquish his parental rights to stop child support before I change her name. How much say does he really have?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • You should probably consult a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • I think that you need his permission and her name has to be changed to the person who is her father either biologically or adoptive. Meaning it would be good to get her bio dad to sign his rights over to the person who really wants to be her father. The best thing you can do to get the information and how to do it is to contact an attorney. You have to have an atty to do the process anyway, I believe. WHen my daughter was born, I was 18 and her father was not in the same state. They didnt ask me, but they automatically gave her my name. So a few months later, when I returned home, we began talking marriage and before we got married, we contacted an atty to get her name changed. This was her biological father anyway so there was no issue, but it costs about $300. I dont know if we could have done it without an atty or not. Good luck on your quest for information.

    Answer by momofsaee at 12:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • Well he has every right to stop you even if he doesnt act like it he is still her "father"! It sucks and as a child I went threw almost the same thing, my step father wanted to adopt me but my biological father wouldnt sign off his rights even though he was never around and rarly paid his child support!

    If he is willing to sign off and say he will never be a part of her life the money isnt worth it! Save her the heart ache and problems of this loser coming in and out of her life! Let him relinquish his rights and stop the child support and just move on with your life! Since your getting married I am sure this new man is good to you and your child and will play the part of dad so just change her name and be your own family!

    Answer by mrsmamaj at 12:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • Contact an attorney before you do anything. The father may not have anything to do with your child, but he still has the right to tell you no. You also, need to talk to the attorney about your ex terminating his parental rights, the laws vary state to state and him just wanting to is NOT a reason they will accept, atleast in Wisconsin.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.