Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about admitting my son?

My child initially was thought to have aspergers and his behavior has been getting worse and worse it did get a little better when we first started treatments but now it is really bad he sees a couselor but she does nothing for him and it gets worse afterwards . . he has been on a spree of breaking things for the last 2 hours and I think it is time I need to admit him before he hurts me or himself. . how can I go about this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Answers (10)
  • If you are genuinely concerned for his safety and yours, and it sounds like you are, then you need to call an EMT to help you. Explain that this behavior has been going on for awhile and explain the situation. He needs medical attention. Now when you get to the hospital, they might go ahead and admit him to the behavior medicine unit, but the ER is where all patients start out at if their doctor didnt admit them. You can also call any hospital that is strictly behavioral medicine and ask them what they suggest. My mother did that for her MIL who is severely impaired with Dimentia and has the same kind of behavior. They told her that she had to go through the ER as well unless the dr didnt admit her. It was a pain, but the got her into the Peachford Hospital in Atlanta. Its strictly behavior medicine. Im sorry youre having a hard time with your son. Sounds like he really needs help. I pray he gets it.

    Answer by momofsaee at 12:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • I am not sure but I would call his counselor and talk to her about what you just said. And if she isnt willing to help you and since it sounds like your not happy with her then find a new counselor.

    Answer by mrsmamaj at 12:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • Take him to the ER.

    Answer by ajguinn at 12:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • If he is totally out of control call the EMS to take him in. If not, load him up yourself.

    Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • U can also call ur local united way & ask 4 info on emergency mental health services.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • I would call the ER and explain to them what is happening and see if they are going to come get him or if they have a suggestion for a mental help institution that can. If you are worried he is going to hurt himself or others, than I think you have a valid reason to do something about it...especially if counseling and whatever other treatment he has been having isn't working. Good luck.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • We had that problem with a foster child, the keywords you need to say are" I/we can not keep him safe!" that phrase with get him some help.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

  • My son was thought to have aspergers as well. Turned out he had food sensitivities. Has he been tested for food sensitivities? Ask for a RAST test food panel for IgE & IgG. Look up Dr Rapp. She's an environmental allergist. It's amazing what food can do. It can cause a lot of harm in the wrong body.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Nothing wrong with calling an ambulance and getting him the help he really needs. Good luck to you and your son.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

  • Just take him to the Emergency Room. If that can't be done, just call 911. Good luck, I know how difficult it is to go through something like this.

    Answer by Yve538 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.