Do you think corporal punishment should be taken out of schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I thought it already was....
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Corporal punishment has gone the way of the dinosaur...at least in public schools!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well, its not specifically banned in some states but its rarely used. Like for instance, in GA, its not illegal or anything and its still in the law, but no one uses it anymore. It just wouldnt go over very well. Although I think some of the faculty at the schools wishes more parents would beat the crap out of their kids before sending them to school....LOL....the school doesnt have the authority to do it anymore. My kids went to private school for 5 yrs and its written there and its enforced that the principal can paddle at a certain point. I do have to give my permission of course but they still do it. My children know that if they ever do anything at school to earn a spanking, then they are getting one at home for sure. Its never happened. They are good kids.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• it's not illegal in all states, but i don't know if its still being used. i live in california, i'm not sure of the law here, but i've never once in my time heard of a teacher spanking a child.
    Anonymous

• Most definitely it should not be allowed in schools. I would never allow anyone to hit my child for any reason. There are much better methods of discipline.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yeah God forbid those schools might have some control over the discipline problems.
    Anonymous

• I think they should still be using it. Not using it is the equivalent of the lame "wait until your father gets home" means of discipline, whereby the parents are left to be the last ones to know what their little brat has done in school (if they even bother to discipline the child at home for something they did during school). Many parents just don't see the issue or problem the way the school does and do nothing. Many parents just can't seem to find the time to care. I believe what happens in school needs to be attended to immediately by the school while the infraction is still clearly recgonizable by the child, not hours or days afterward, when the school can finally get in touch with the parents or the parent discovers a note sent home from the school. The real impact of corporate punishment in school was the deterent factor--kids knew that if they did something bad in school what the consequences were.
    Anonymous

• It should be put back in them.

* goldenfox I would never allow anyone to hit my child for any reason.

Schools never used it without parental consent. How about leaving it up to each parent instead of thinking it's your place to decide for them?
    Anonymous

• Nope. It should not be allowed. I personally do not agree with spanking, and if *I* will not spank my child, no other human being should be allowed to either.

What other people do with their children is their business, though.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I went to a small farm-town school in the 60's and 70's. Things were WAY different back then! If we talked back to a teacher we got sent to Mrs. Queill's (vice-principal) office. She would make us lift up our dress, pull down our girdle and panties and whack our bottoms with a yardstick until they blistered. If she ever saw our bangs touching our eyebrows, she would take a scissors and cut our bangs OFF! I mean to the TOP of our forehead! If she saw a boy's hair touching his collar, she would run a clipper over his head. Pretty much our whole discipline program would be considered abuse today!
    Anonymous