Scarred Parents?

If you saw a parent with old self-injury scars on them, does that affect your respect for them as a parent? Even if those injuries might have occured before the child was born?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, that wouldn't bother me. People go through hard times.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:23 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No, not at all. It woud likely give me huge levels of compassion for them. Immediately I would think...wow, what happened in their life that would make them do that. I would probably have more respect for them for overcoming it. If they were old scars and there werent new ones and I could tell it was definitely something in their past, I would just be overjoyed for them. Thats a tough thing to overcome. Everyone has scars....EVERYONE. Just because I dont have self mutilation scars on me doesnt mean I dont have scars on the inside. It doesnt mean that I was raised in a perfect home. Even if I dont admit it, its there. Everyone has something that they are dealing with. Its just more obvious on some people. Every parent has a story and every child will grow up with a story. As much as we dont want to raise our children with "issues", they will have them. I pray that my children are able to recognize and overcome anything learned.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I have self-inflicting scars from many years ago, but those were troublesome times. I dont care how people judge me because they are from the past and I am a very loving mother and in general a very caring person. Even if I didnt have these scars I wouldnt judge someone by them since it is in the PAST and we all make mistakes and stupid decisions. my scars are a reminder of a time in my life that made my grow stronger (sounds stupid I know, it's not the inflicting that made me grow stronger, its the aftermath that made me realize there is more to life)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I used to be a cutter. I have scars on my arms. I stopped when i got preg with my 1st.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I dnt care wut ppl think of them. I kno im better and that is all that matters.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 12:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would expect them to be highly dramatic. I wouldn't think they'd be bad parents, just drama addicted.
    Anonymous

• No it wouldn't affect my respect for them. I would actually probably have MORE respect for them for making it through a really hard time in their life. As long as they were only scars and not still open wounds, I wouldn't think anything of it. We've all gone through times in our lives that were hard and painful...some of us have physcial scars to prove it, others of us have emotional ones. Either way you learn and grow from whatever experiences you've dealt with in your life. If you made it through and are better now, than good for you, if you are still dealing with a problem, than I hope someone can find you help.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Cutting is just another method of dealing with internal pain. People cope with their pain differently. I would think they were human.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I had alot of problems as a teenager, but having my first born saved my life, I had someone to live for, and I couldnt screw up anymore, no matter how depressed I got. If it wasnt for my son, I'd be in an alley with a permanent acid trip and talking about the walls melting right now. People sometimes change when they have kids, if the scars were fresh, then i'd be worried
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think most people have some type of scars--- some are on the outside where you can see them, and some are inside.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:41 PM on Jul. 5, 2009