ok so i am really worried

i just found out im 11 weeks pregnant a few days ago when i went to the dr he hardly talked to me didnt do any blood work nothing basiclly said congrats and was on his way he set my next appointment for the end of aug. which on that day i will be 19 weeks and a few days..... thats when he is doing all my testing and the first ultrasound and to explain the whole pregnacy thing but i will be half way!! and this is my first maybe im over reacting but almost 20 weeks for my first blood work and ultrasound seems really late into it to me ...what do you think should i be worried and get another dr?

firstbaby10

Asked by firstbaby10 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, that's strange. Normally at your first appointment around 8-10 weeks, they do blood work and a vaginal ultrasound to make sure the baby is in your uterus (not tubal) and all looks ok. Waiting until 19 weeks to do that is way too late. I would most definitely 100% find a new doctor.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 12:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you need a diff doc. if he didn't explain anything to you, do some basic blood count work etc...than i would switch docs
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I had blood work and a "mini" ultrasound done the first time I went in. They did bloodwork to make sure all my levels were normal and that I wasn't deficient in anything, they also checked to see if I was RH negative. Then they checked to see if they could hear the baby's heartbeat, but because I was only 12 weeks along, they couldn't, so they hooked me up to the ultrasound machine just to make sure there was one. I didn't have another appt. until I was 16 weeks weeks which was when they did the first "official" ultrasound, and then I had another at 20. I do know that there are some docs who don't even want to see you AT ALL until 20 weeks. If you are uncomfortable with it than I would switch doctors. I'm glad I went as many times as I did before I was 20 weeks. But maybe your doc has a different agenda than mine? Just do what you feel more comfortable with. Another doc might be more personal and want to see you more often.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would find a new doctor. I'm really picky when it comes with doctors but if they don't do what they should be doing then it's time to find someone who will and honestly you should feel completely comfortable with whom you are going to. make an appt with someone else and don't be shy, ask questions on the phone with the person that is making your appt and find out what you can expect from that doctor on your first visit...if they can't tell you, ask to speak to a nurse or doctor that can help you answer your questions. don't be shy, this is your first pregnancy and you should be able to find out the information you need to feel comfortable about having a baby. BTW, CONGRATS!!!
    Magnifique

Answer by Magnifique at 12:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If it was me, I would find a new dr. When I was pregnant, at 6 weeks I got an appointment what to eat, not to eat, what was safe to take, etc. At 8 weeks I got a ultrasound, blood work, everything done. I would not want to have waited until 19 weeks to have received this information. I think some doctors get in a rush, to many patients and forget that not everyone has gone through this a thousand times before.
    Anonymous

• I think thats wrong my last doctor did that and I went to ER to find out I had misscarried at 6 weeks had been carrying fetus for 14 weeks. You need check ups at least every month 1st trimester and theirs a blood test needed for determening down syndrome and spina bifida, which has to be done between 15-20 weeks.

Try to change your appointment or DOCTOR
    ehall13

Answer by ehall13 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i got my 1st ultrasound at 18 weeks.the bloodwork i got as soon as i found out i was prego and i was 2 months when i found out.get a new doc because hes not doing his job.my doc whose delivering is also my gyn doctor , maybe try getting a private doc if you dont have 1.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Defiently you need a different doctor he sounds like a quack they did my blood work the first time they saw but my ultrasound was done at 20 weeks. I would wait for this doctor he doesnt sound relieble. Good luck finding a new one they are not that difficult to find but i hope you find some one that will treate you and not lead you in a way of danger.
    newmom183

Answer by newmom183 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i saw my dr to confirm my preg test and she checked me internally and said i was about 4 week and she set up another appointmentat 9 weeks and told me she would go ove the dos and donts of pregnancy along with blood work and at that time we got to hear dd heart beat. afterthat i seen my dr once or twice a month intill the end when i was going in everyday to be checked. if iwas u i would change dr to me is sound like he is to distracted to consintrate on his patiens
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• sounds like any other dr to me. ready to get on to his/her next pt. if you want a more personal care, look into getting a midwife. they will sit down w/ you and explain everything. they don't take a big load of women like dr's do.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 4:32 PM on Jul. 5, 2009