Hello Cap and Trade....goodbye July 4th celebrations?

I hope everyone had a nice 4th of July--I was thinking last night about this possibly being the last 4th of July when we the people would be able to celebrate with fireworks and smoke bombs and all the things that go bang in the night. What made me think of this and the relationship to Cap and Trade, since that is supposed to be environmental legislation, is that after what appeared to be just about everyone in our neighborhood for streets to the west and east of us setting off everything type of explosive or sparkly thing under the moon, the area was shrouded in a thick smoke for hours and hours. Ahhh, the smell of sulfur--a sensory reminder of the holiday--just like burning leaves in fall. If fireworks have the least bit to do with calculated emissions--it will be sad that 2009 may be the end to a long tradition. We may never pass this way again.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was actually thinking this last night too. I also wondered how many super duper environmentalists either went to a fireworks show or shot their own. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm....

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm not too sure about that. I don't think one night of celebration in one country will make much difference to the entire planet's pollution. There are a lot of communities that already ban personal fireworks and allow only the public city display.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Fireworks will never end !!!!!
    Anonymous

• OMG, I was thinking the same thing. I nearly cried. It just feels like all of our freedom is slowly and now kind of rapidly slipping away.
    Anonymous

• I too also thought about that as while attending the Macy's July 4th Celebration!!! I thought, as I sat among the crowds, how excited everyone was, and how united and proud American's were acting and feeling especially during the grand finale and when the New York Pops played Battle Hymn of the Republic, Grand Ol' Flag, and God Bless America--among many other traditional songs.

To think it may have been this countries last traditional celebration of patriotism, is sad.

Anyone know what The Obama's did last night?
    Anonymous

• Someone gave an analogy about our loss of freedoms being like someone having a leg amputated. After the leg is gone the feeling of it still being there lingers. This is what the Gov. is doing, taking away freedoms, but the people don't realize it. The freedom is gone, just the feeling of freedom remains.
    Anonymous

• I really don't believe our freedoms are slipping away and you know Fireworks will always be a feature of 4th of July celebrations all over the USA. Cheer up everyone and take off your tinfoil hats. ;-)
    Anonymous

• They've tried going after bbq grills before, don't be surprised if those are on the chopping block soon, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Lol, I thought about this last night, too!

We had chicken on the barbie with a wonderful beurre blanc (if I do say so myself), corn, cucumber salad and baked beans, fresh blueberries and strawberries on vanilla ice cream.

How long will we be able to burn charcoal? Will anyone be able to afford it?

Will parties become a thing of the past while people scrape together enough money just to have to choose between milk and eggs, because they can't afford both?

Make no mistake, this is not about the environment- it's about control, and we cannot allow it to pass.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• As far as what the obama's did, it's a classic case of 'do as I say, not as I do'. He woke up at the WH, flew to camp David for malia's birthday party, then flew back to the WH for the big bbq.

I bet Congress and the WH could cut our emissions by half by video conferencing, and not flying all over the place at the drop of a hat.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009