Why do some parents think...

it's okay to peirce a baby's ears even though the child has no say on what is being done to their body, but then when the child is 15 and wants her belly done they say no... What part of it's her body to people not get? What gives parents the right to choose which holes are okay and which aren't?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• We personally will wouldn't get our baby's ears pierced, or for that matter our boy's circ'ed for the same reason. So I agree with you. It's their body and their choice.
    Anonymous

• some piercings are difficult to deal with. Ears heal rather quickly, but other piercings (like the belly button) can take months to heal properly. Also... ear piercings are not generally viewed as a sign of sexuality and the belly piercing often is.

Personally, I don't want my tween/teen rolling up her shirt and down her waist band to show off a mid-drift piercing. There really is a big difference in people looking at your child's ear versus looking at her exposed mid-drift. Tongue piercings are also viewed by many, if not most people, as a sexual thing.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:26 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Damned if I know. I figure when my daughter's old enough to care for ear piercings herself, she can have them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Babies with earrings is a horrible idea anyway.. I wouldn't let my infant have piercings and I wouldn't let my teenager have a belly button ring either.
    Anonymous

• I don't see a problem with getting the babies ears pierced. I got my daughters done. Yes, it is THEIR body but that is they way I want to do things with my child. Everyone is different and has their own opinions on things.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I see my children kind of as they are on loan to me to raise them until they no longer need my constant care and attention, I do not own them or their persons. It's their body and their choice to do things like that if they want to, I would never make that sort of permanent decision for my child just because I think it's aesthetically pleasing.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't pierce my daughter's ears that early, but I also wouldn't allow a 15 year old to get a belly piercing either. Yes it is the parent's prerogative to decide when and where a child may get a piercing, because the child may not be able to decide what is appropriate and also might not be able to grasp the consequences of infection or other damage that can occur. I got my tongue pierced, and bc I did not know how to properly care for it, it ruined the enamel on my teeth. Such things are not thought of by a teen who may be just wanting the attention the piercing will give them, and it is up to the parent to decide what is best until they feel their daughter (or son) is able to. That's JMO :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• While I wouldn't get my daughter's ears pierced until she is old enough to (1) care for them herself and (2) ask for it to be done, I think I know the answer to your question...

People get their baby's ears pierced because that's what THEY want and they think it's cute. (I'm not saying it is cute or isn't, it's just how those parents feel).

People tell their teen that she can NOT get her belly button pierced (or whatever else) because that is what the TEEN wants and parent's are still battling the idea of letting the child make decisions, some of which will be bad or harmful.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I pierced my child's ears before she was a year old.... My mom did mine before I was a year old. My earrings didn't hurt my personality and I don't resent my Mom for making me look like a "girl" I like my earrings and my daughter likes her earrings.....

Now ask a Q about FEMALE circumcision, and you'll have a good reason to say that parents are mutilating their child (or what ever else you are insinuating about ear piercings)

Anonymous

• I agree with the SEXUAL answer. Belly piercings make you look like a whore.
    Anonymous