Can you hold a new baby too much?

My sons only three weeks old but my mom thinks I'm spoiling him by being there when he crys. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NO, you cannot hold a new baby too much. By being there for them when they cry you are teaching them that they do matter, giving them security. Keep holding that baby and attending to him when he cries.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I never let my kids cry. The minute they cried, I thought they either needed a hug, were hungry, or had dirty diapers. Now that they're adults, I think it didn't harm them in any way.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Children before the age of at least 3 months are mentally unable to be "spoiled'. They do not grasp concepts such as cause and effect (I cry so they pick me up) until at least 3 months old. It is impossible to spoil them. They will only cry when they NEED something, such as food, or security, or a diaper change. Do not worry about spoiling right now, just enjoy the time together :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If you hold the baby TOO much or jump whenever he cries, you run the risk of him ALWAYS wanting you to hold him, which eventually will get old. Especially when you're trying to do something.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• no,thats ur job,i always held my baby,she slept with me,i always sat on the floor with her,i sit in the back seat in the car,i know thats a little to much,but shes my baby and i want better for her then i had.i bet ur mom was the same was unless she had 1 or more other kids to chase after as well.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No not at all! A three week old can never have too much attention! Once they get older I have found that for everyone in the household it is better to let the child learn to start being independent. Let them hang out in their crib for a little while or play with a toy by themselves but until them you hold that baby as much as you want!!! If anyone tells you that you are holding your child too much at this age tell them to back off! That's crazy! Your are a mommy. This is what you are supposed to do!

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 4:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• When your baby cries, there is a reason, and you should definitely pick him up. But making it a habit to be held all the time is not a good idea if you ask me. JMO. If he is asleep, you can put him down, so he can learn to sleep by himself, and when he needs you for something you hold him.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Your mother is crazy. You're supposed to be there every time when the baby cries. The sooner the better. It teaches them that you're there whenever they need you. There's no possible way to spoil a baby with love.
    HisMommy414

Answer by HisMommy414 at 1:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2009