When you got pregnant with your first child was everybody like Finally!!!

When I got pregnant with my 5 year old daughter everyone told me "well it's about time." My husband and I had been together almost 10 years, 6 of those married. I was 28 and he was 34. He is the youngest of 4 kids, and his oldest sibling his sister was 42 I think. Well his parents had no grandkids yet so they were dying for1. You know they thought they would have grandkids before then. Everyone was happy, but they made me feel like "damn what took you so long?" She is still their only grandchild and she will be the only one, so of course she is spoiled rotten. So did anybody else get the response "finally" when the got pregnant?

TeriMelisa

Asked by TeriMelisa at 1:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I did! From both sides of the family lol. I'm 26 and my DH is 31, and we've been trying for a few years. I come from a HUGE family and everyone had children early, except me. My DH was the oldest child and still no grandkids from him (or his siblings)! So ya, everyone was asking me constantly "What took you so long?" lol Almost made me feel bad but I know they are just excited about having a new baby in the family :)
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 1:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No, I don't really think either side of the family thought we were ready yet.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 1:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well, hubby and I have you and your hubby beat on the longest wait!
    We were married for 23 years before our first came when I was 40 and he was 42.

We had told everyone years before that we didn't want any children. (and we didn't-then) So when we started trying, we kept it a secret and didn't tell any of the family or our friends. No one knew until I was four months along.

My MIL said, "I'm so happy you and __ have decided to have a baby. I was worried you would never."
    My FIL said, "You're in for it now!"
    My mom was speechless- (not in a good way. I think she was angry, actually. It's a long story...)
    My dad said nothing.

Our son is over two and everyone has accepted him as part of the family....some more than others.

(I'm not sorry we had him or that we waited.)
    Anonymous

• HAHAHAHAHA no. but i was only 20
    Anonymous

• Well anon 12:58, congrats. I am really happy for you. I am glad everyone is in love with your son. In some ways I think older, not saying you are old, just older parents are better. You are more finacially stable, more mature and settled down. But sometimes can be too old that lady that was like 67 when she had a kid, was crazy LOL
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 2:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Everyone was more surprised...
    I was told by 5 doctors that I could NOT get pregnant.
    I hadn't had a period since I was 17. Met my husband when I was 19 - got pregnant at 20.
    I did have my period after my son was born, but it was every other month. Haven't had a period since January, and we're TTC. Kind of difficult....
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 2:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I heard everything but "finally". But I was young. Very young. Like 14... So whatever your response is to that, is pretty much what I heard. And much, much more. The most popular response being, "And you're how old?" It did wonders for my self esteem. I thought it was so nice of people to bring attention to everything negative about my situation that I was already completely aware of.

Although with my last son, my SO and I had been trying for 3 years before we concieved. So for him I got to hear "Finally!" We both come from very large families. This was his first child though. It was a really nice change to have everyone, strangers included, be excited about my pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• No. My parents didn't say much. They thought it was nice. My in-laws said "Are you sure you want to rush into this so soon?" We had been married about 8 months when I found out I was pregnant. My In-lws are very conservative,cautious people.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No...we were also 18 when we got pregnant. My mom supported me, my "father" well he went off the deep end and said that my boyfriend wouldn't make it 5 years (only one more to go and he isn't going ANYWHERE). My boyfriend's family never expected him to have children because he just didn't seem like the type, but they supported us.
    Domzmom2005

Answer by Domzmom2005 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No. I was 19 when I got pregnant with my daughter. I think everyone was more happy for us than "finally", because I had a miscarriage about 6 months prior.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009