Why is thier blood in my dogs stool?

My dog has blood in her stool. It is bright red and I am worried. My vet is not open because of the 4th weekend I will call Monday morning and bring her in. I hope she is okay. She is my baby. :(. Has this happened to anyone before? Is it serious?

Luckylady32807

Asked by Luckylady32807 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Pets

• It could be something as simple as constipation. You can give her a little bit of grease (animal fat, hamburger grease works well) to help with that. Its bright red, which means it is oxygenated blood, so unless there is a LOT of it, I would imagine that is the problem. Also, how old is the dog? Any blood in the stool in a puppy (6 months usually or less) might mean serious problems such as Parvo virus, in which case you need to quarantine her from any other animals you have and your children, until Monday. But honestly it sounds like she is constipated, or possibly has some obstruction. Monitor her closely and keep her well hydrated. Good luck!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 2:05 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• or worms. did you change her food lately?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No she is 7 yrs old. I will try that tonight. She had rice with green beans and boiled chicken last night. Maybe it constipated her. Thank you.
    Luckylady32807

Answer by Luckylady32807 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Sounds like she may have worms of some sort. Whip worms or something like that. She probably ingested something that could have had a fly or flea on it and it laid its eggs inside the dog causing the worms. Go to your vet as soon as they open back up. If it was only a one time deal though, it could be the constipation thing.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My dog had bloody stool when he got pancreatitis. Vet said that this is caused by eating fatty foods. I would also recommend seeing the vet as soon as possible to sort it out. Hope your baby gets well soon!
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 2:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2009

• Probably by now you have seen the vet. I have been told by the vet if the blood is red it is not that serious. Internal bleeding will make the stool black. If the blood is red then it something near the exit. Like a cut or something, maybe constipation tore something while coming out.
    Allie428

Answer by Allie428 at 3:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2009