How do I care for my childs mixed hair?

I am a single mother with a son who has African American hair and I have no clue how to keep it from being dry and unmanageable.

Squishysmom2

Asked by Squishysmom2 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• when you wash it always leave some leave in conditioner that detangles it.very little though so dandruff doesnt become an issue.comb it out with the conditioner in it.braids are a hairs best friend.its up to you what kind of braids you want if you do them.cornrows are the easiest.grease his hair so it doesnt get dry. i have mixed hair and it wasnt easy doing mine when i was little.thank god for relaxers lol.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• you can write me if u have any other questions.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:43 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Do NOT wash it everyday, that will dry it our more. There are products in the haircare section for this issue. My friends daughter is biracial and she uses something with olive oil in it for her hair. Also, seeing you have a boy, keep it short.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• maybe try a natural shampoo and conditioner. many commercial products have alcohols in them (among many other chemicals), which only dries out hair more. i have hair that is partly flat and wirey and have found i need to put oil in it after i wash it, and i only comb it when i am in the shower.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2009