No Child Left Behind

Should it be repealed? Can teachers still do their job?

THOUGHTS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it punishes poor test takers.

Doesn't really matter how well you do throughout the year, if you do poorly on FCAT - WATCH OUT!
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:55 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• well, considering that there are schools in D.C. I think where they are giving the kids money to learn.....umm....I don't think that its working.

BUT! Let me add that I think TOO MANY parents feel that teaching lands on the laps of teachers only-when really its a 50/50 job in my book.
    Anonymous

• No Child Left A Dime.
    Anonymous

• No teaching left standing, No principal left employed.

In theory NCLB has some good points but for the most part, it is horrible in practice. I will graduate next year with my Bachelor's in Elementary Education and I am seriously considering another career because of NCLB. I love working with and teaching children, but if all it includes is cramming stuff into their heads and having them memorize nothing but test materials then it is not worth it.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No Child Left Behind is a bunch of bull. You do more harm than good by pushing a child through the school system if they're not ready. There is a little girl in my SS class in 4th GRADE who can't read!! I mean, she can't even read little simple words like the, and, can, my, ran. She also has one of the worst speech impediments I've ever heard, you can barely understand a word she says, but hey, let's just keep pushing her along because the law says so. Never mind that by the time she gets to high school, she's going to be so behind, she'll probably end up dropping out. BTW, her mother is a sorry sack of crap who doesn't do anything to take care of her; the poor child is morbidly obese, and her clothes are always dirty and smelly. This child doesn't stand a chance, with a mother who doesn't give a crap and a school system that doesn't help her.
    Anonymous

• It's a flawed program. Let's buy every kid in the nation school supplies, and then lay off teachers because there is no money to pay them.

Wouldn't it be easy to figure out who needs help with supplies by who gets the free lunch program?

And the testing. . .they spend WEEKS every year when they could be teaching . . .

THIS was not my favorite of bush's programs
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:59 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Hey, anon,

Have the nurse examine that little girl's vision. We had the worst time with my first being able to read at home but not at school, only to find that I had purchased larger print books than the school had...

Her behavior was SO bad that she was diagnosed with adhd, only to find that her mismatched eye sight wouldn't allow her brain to focus on a task.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• the no child left behind act, needs to be revoked. it originally had great intentions, but the lovely people in DC have twisted it around so much it has done nothing but hurt our children. they now have a test, that ORIGINALLY was designed only to judge where children stood, but now, states/gov. are bribing teachers and if they dont improve so much that school/district lose money..sooo now our children are being taught to pass that test, and in SOME states it is even used to figure out if a child should pass or fail! what happened to not doing homework and flunking a class= FAILING. we now have a school system where we have high schoolers that CANT READ!! it is a deplorable situation.
    Anonymous

• I think that it needs serious revamping.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 5:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Although I think NCLB needs revisions or should be repealed for better legislature, there are parts of it I do agree with. One of the biggest issues in education is that poor performing teachers are not held accountable when their students don't make learning gains. NCLB at least takes some steps toward accountability, although it's vague as to who is accountable and what to do about it. I also think higher standards for student achievement should be enforced. Unfortunately NCLB, pushes for higher student achievement with out funding better training for teachers or offering other support. Hopefully in the next few years this will improve.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2009