Who all quit BFing cold turkey?

My dd is 2 months old and I am done with BFing. It's just too much for me. I am happy with the time I did.
Anyways... So I have started giving her formula. She had some mixed with BM yesterday and one BM feeding today.. I have not pumped today. So at this point I am starting to fill up.. I am kinda afraid to just let them fill and dry up without any relief... What did you do?

sherwins.girl

Asked by sherwins.girl at 2:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump enough to lessen the pressure. Either mix it with formula or dump it out. It will take a few days for your body to re-adjust and slow production. There's a shot avaliable to help dry up your supply so if you think you'd like it, call your ob/Gyn
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Don't stimulate your nipples or breasts. Just leave them alone. Keep pads on and be ready for them to be soaked for a couple of days.

In about a week it will be over. Cold cabbage leaves help relieve the engorgement and pain. But don't let the shower water fall on your breasts.
    Anonymous

• Ouch-- honestly, it's best for your body to stop more gradually... it can possibly cause damage to the ducts in your breasts to quit so suddenly.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I would never have done it cold turkey. I just slowly reduced nursing from normal down to like three times a day, then two, then just PM nursing. I was much easier on me and baby.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:53 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Never quit cold turkey unless a mastis sounds good. Relieve some of that pressure.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• What Colleen said and there is no shot anymore.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 6:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I have a good friend that quit cold turkey and it was a nightmare. She had to wear cabbage leaves. She wreaked of cabbage and sour milk for a couple of weeks. She got painfully engorged and her baby tried to nurse all the time.

I weaned mine slowly. I dropped a feeding a day every 3-4 days until all that was left were the naptime and bedtime feedings. Then I dropped those too. That was so easy...no engorgement, no discomfort, never pumped once. My milk just slowly dried up.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't do cold turkey... at least pump and work your way down over a few weeks. We stopped a few weeks ago and we cut a feeding out at a time until we were down to 1-2 per day... and then cut them out until I was feeling full... and now it's been about 3 weeks and I haven't had any pain at all.
    If your baby was eating 6 times/day I would do 5 for a few days then 4... and work yourself down. 6 feedings/day is probably around 24 or more oz that are used to being eaten... OUCH! Stop when there are only a few oz/day coming out.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• i quit cold turkey...im not going to lie, it was the worse pain ive ever felt, personally i would have rather been in labor! it was only really painful for the first 2 days and then it only hurt if you touch them...i wore a snug sports bra and kept breast pads in and changed them every couple hours cuz if not id soak thru them and all over my shirt...i also kept ice on as much as i possibly could..that was the only soothing thing for me...the only way i could sleep was propped on my back up with ice on my boobs..and i took ibuprophen cuz its an anti-inflammatory..dont really know if it helped but i did it anyway...and you will still leak for a couple weeks after but it wont be enough to notice or have to wear a pad for...its been 2 weeks i think for me and i still leak a tiny bit. good luck..its going to painful but if you just wanna hurry up and get it over with...oh and i didnt get any infections, and niether did anyone i no
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 4:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2009