How do you handle all the whining and screaming without going NUTS?

My son turned 2 almost a month ago, but he's been in his "terrible twos" for almost a year already, but of course he's gotten worse. He's always screaming, whining and his favorite word is, NO! I just want to know how you handle all this chaos that a little 2 year old causes!

Asked by LaniGirl72 at 2:08 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I ignore the screaming and whining if I can. Tell him "I can't understand you when you talk like that" and wait until he settles down to help him. Stick to a discipline routine also... he needs to know that you're the BOSS & he doesn't always get his way.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:32 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Take a time out mommy. When you feel that you cannot take it anymore..walk away. Put him in a safe place with some toys and grab a bottle of water, count to 25, take some deep breaths and keep repeating...this is only a stage..this is only a stage.LOL It may help to schedule some mommy time at a spa to recharge those batteries. Now for advice about the little screamer...Never give in to demands made while he is screaming. Warn him to stop, if he does not ...he goes to time out. I will not listen to my kids if they are whining and screaming...I make them calm down and ask in a normal voice. If your start under reacting to the will not get the attention that he is seeking. Also, give him tons and tons of praise for using a normal voice and being polite. Give the attention to the behavior that you What more of. Good luck...remember, ear plugs come in all shapes and sizes!!! LOL

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:07 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• most of the time if i have asked them to stop, if they dont i walk away, and leave them to it as they cant hurt themself, i will always walk away, or put them in their room, untill they calm down it dont take to long, as long as u stick to it and dont give into and talk/ shout to them again just ignor them works great and u dont get to stressed out either

Answer by sammy04k at 10:42 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I have 4 kids and I tune alot of it out. I don't get up and go see unless it sounds like someone is getting killed, even then I walk slowly. I let them work it out themselves. I could spend all my time just refereeing squabbles if I were to interfere every time they scream and yell (which is non stop). If they are being loud I tell them to leave the room.

Answer by Eliza34 at 12:45 PM on Jun. 22, 2008