What's the meanest thing you have done to punish your kids?

Just wondering....My 4 year old takes forever to eat her dinner & if we leave the room she will throw it away. I started taking 50 cents out of her piggy bank when she does that. I told her it cost me $ for that food so every time she throws it away she loses 50 cents. MY SO said it was mean to do. lol. I'm just trying to teach her that she needs to eat her food. The whole explaining how big & strong it will make you hasn't worked with her.

jfblaine

Asked by jfblaine at 3:40 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is she not hungry? Does she ask for anything else later?
    If not maybe give her smaller plates of food.
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• hmmm. I really don't know. I guess making them go to their rooms and can't play with their toys or watch t.v.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No she's hungry. She just wants popcorn or cookies. Unfortunatly, when she see's her dad & grandma that's all they give her is junk food. So it's a battle to get her to eat good food at home. All she wants is junk food. Were trying to keep her on a good diet because she has weight issues.
    jfblaine

Answer by jfblaine at 3:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I like the idea of equating waste of food with money since you have tried other avenues to no avail. The real world operates on money, so its a nice real life lesson.
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Let's see - unplugging the TV for refusing to turn it off, banning him from going to his two favorite stores with me for choosing to not behave and repeatedly scratching and pinching me at same stores, refusing to take him to the park for failure to do his chores (that's today). To him, they're each horrible and mean and his latest: "Not FAIR!". To me, they are natural consequences for choosing to not listen or choosing to do something else instead. Yes, I'm a mean mommy.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I think you are doing the right thing. For my son who is 5, he wasted a bottle of shampoo, body wash, bubble bath, tooth paste and hand soap(all within a 2 week period). I told him he would do his chores but wouldn't get his money since he wasted that stuff. He has understood and has not done it sense. So, I think that is fine. I hope it works.
    farm_mom

Answer by farm_mom at 1:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2009