formula, picky eater

My pedi told me not to give my 13 month old son formula after his 1st birthday. He is 22 pounds, tall and slim. However, I have been talking to my friends with kids. A mother of a baby 2 months younger than my son but much larger has been told by her pedi to give him formula until he is 15 months. I have been giving my son whole milk in sippy cups, but am concerned about the vitamins he had in his formula. He doesn't eat much, only certain foods, and won't try many new foods. So wouldn't it be more healthy to let him have formula instead of milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he is not getting his nutrients from his daily intake of food, he shouldn't be on milk yet. WHen you saw your pediatrician did he ask about the toddler's food intake at all?

He may have been thinking that lessening the formula would increase his appetite, too.

Either way, this is a question better brought to your pediatrician who knows your son, and his medical records, rather than a bunch of faceless moms on a message board.
    Anonymous

• if your son's doc said not to than no it wouldn't. as far as missing out on the vitamins etc...he doesn't need them anymore. just make sure what he does eat is healthy, fruits veggies whole grains etc. if you are really worried about his food intake, there are liquid vitamins you can give children that age, ask your sons pedi about it. and every child grows at a diff rate and some kids are just smaller than others their age, so you can't compare your child to another only based on weight etc...22lbs is about where a 1 yr old should be so he is average weight.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• All babies are different. So do NOT go by what a doctor told a different mom with a different child to do. If you are concerned, no it won't hurt. Switch to the toddler formula and don't worry.

Do not give him a bottle or sippy of milk with each meal. At meals, stick wtih water only. Otherwise he may very well fill up on the milk (formula) and not want to eat any food.
    Or, if he knows he'll have some right after the food, he'll not eat anything so he'll have room for his "treat".
    Give him his milk at snack time only. Or, if he gets it at nap and bedtime, stick with that only. Be sure to brush his teeth before he goes to sleep though.
    No matter the type of "milk", start limiting him to no more than 24 ounces a day.
    Have set meal and snack times. Do not give treats or handouts. This will help make sure he's hungry when it's time to eat.
    Make sure everything can be eaten by him - soft food, small pieces. Messes are OK
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I was worried as well with my little girl. I started giving her vitamins... the baby kind and then switched to flintstone gummies at 15 months.
    I also want to add maybe her son has some other issues going on or other concerns?? Most babies come off formula at a year and they do have liquid vitamins you can give him.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Every baby & Every Dr are different -- remember Dr's are people too and regardless of their training; their advice is going to be colored by their personal experiences as well.

My pedi's told me I could take the girls off formula and put them on whole milk when they were 12 mos. Neither were great eaters though; so I wanted them to have the extra nutrients; so I kept them on it til they were almost 2. I told the Dr's the older girls (prev) Dr said whatever it was up to me. Their new pedi said that was fine if that was what I wanted - he said formula was a 'perfect' food and if it wasn't so expensive we could all be on it.

Everyone is different...bottom line - so what feels right for you & your LO -- keeping him on formula is ok if that's what you want; just make sure to offer food first and formula after; to encourage him to get nutrients from solid food; vs liquids. GL!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I gave my DD the 2nd step formula until she was 21 months old. She can not drink cows milk and i had not transitioned her to SILK milk yet. My dd was actually in the 95 percentile in height and weight...the dr. told me that it was up to me, that as long as she was getting formula or silk milk or cows milk if she could tolerate it she was getting everything that she needed. When she is sick now (2.5 yrs) i actually give her my sons formula when she will not eat because at least she will get some extra vitamins....bottom line, you are the mom. Do what you feel your kid needs.
    hugs_a_lot

Answer by hugs_a_lot at 10:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009