How much weight should i lose doing this?

HI EVERYONE. OK SO AFTER MY DD I WEIGHED ALOT MORE THEN BEFORE (OBVOUSLY). I AM ONLY 5 FT BUT I NEED TO LOSE SERIOUSLY 70 LBS. I GOT PSORIASIS WHEN I WAS PREGNANT AND TOOK STERIODS AFTER HAVING MY DD WHICH CAUSED ME TO WEIGH MORE NOW THEN WHEN I WAS PREGO. MY DR PUT ME ON PHENTERMINE LAST MONTH AND TOLD ME TO WALK 15 MINS A DAY I WANT TO SWIM INSTEAD NOW. SO IF I SWIM HOW MUCH FASTER WILL I LOSE WEIGHT?

ALSO I KNOW PHENTERMINE IS VERY CONTRAVERSAL BUT PLEASE DONT BASH FOR IT

AIMIE489

Asked by AIMIE489 at 3:57 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Exercise is great, and it is not enough. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 6-7 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. You will lose weight. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big salad before meals. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like meal suggestions.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• When you work out do a routine until you hit a patch where it doesn't challenge you anymore. Then bump it up.

Remember, you're going to loose weight easy at first. Probably more that a few pounds a week, depending on workout routine. After a while, you'll loose less than a few pounds a week and it'll be harder to lose. Keep it up!
    AmandaMarie821

Answer by AmandaMarie821 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Swimming burns up to 300 or more calories per hour than walking, depending on the intensity. You burn almost as many calories per hour as if you were running or cross country skiing. HERE is a chart.

Swimming has the added benefit over walking of building a strong cardio system and building endurance while saving your joints from the pounding of a weight bearing exercise.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Swimming is an excellent exercise, but unless you are swimming constantly, as in lap swimming, just playing around in the pool or the lake with the kids won't net much weight loss. The principle here is to keep your heart rate up so that you burn fat.

Even walking just 15 min. a day is better than nothing, but wouldn't likely be much calorie burn. Remember that your heart needs to stay at a certain rate to burn calories.

One way to keep your heart rate up is to do 25 jumping jacks every hour during the day or do running in place at a high intensity as possible. When standing in the kitchen do leg stretches, stand on your toes, do donkey kicks when you brush your teeth. The principle here is to keep moving all day long. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2009