6 week old gnawing on hand/fingers...

could she be teething already? She isn't fussy and she's preferring her hand to a pacifier. I just fed her and she cries if she's hungry so it's not that either...I wonder if I should go buy some teething toys for her to chew on?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it could be teething, but my little guy prefers his hands/fingers over a pacifier and he is the same age. he always has had that preference but he wasn't able to coordinate getting the hands to the mouth on purpose, now that he can he'll spit out the paci and go after his fingers.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• thanks, I think you're probably right because it seems like she'd be fussing if she was teething.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• my dd started teething around 11 weeks, she was fussy, drooled ALOT (like 3 or 4 outfits a day, and her chin was chapped), had a slight fever at times, was fussy about taking a bottle (she would be hungry but it hurt to eat) and was biting down on everything. so there are lots of other signs and you would realize it, so she probably just prefers her fingers over the paci. just remember, if you can get her to take it and keep it, thats easier to get rid of later in life over a finger sucking habit. good luck though ,don't know what to tell you there
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:17 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• At our 4 months check up, my doctor told me that around that age 2-3 months, the baby starts producing saliva, so it is normal for them to drool, because they don't have control of their mouth yet. It is not necessarily because they are teething. My daughter was doing the same thing, and now at 5 months she is biting on everything. I think it just has something to do with her finding out that she can bite down on stuff.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 10:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My DD is the same way. She absoulutly refuses the pacifier but is always sucking on her fist/fingers. We've found it's just a way she soothes herself. Usually she does it most if she's hungry or her tummy hurts. She'll also do it while falling asleep. She's 3 months now and has been doing this since the day she was born. :D And I'm thinking she's starting to teeth so that fist is always wet....lol.
    melissa0425

Answer by melissa0425 at 3:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2009