How can I help my baby not freak out at bedtime?

byrdwmn

Asked by byrdwmn at 4:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• freak out? I need more info - how old, does he start crying/screaming, what are you doing when he/she starts?

Answer by missanc at 4:24 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• More details would help....
    But to start with... don't rock or nurse or bottle feed your baby to sleep and then sneak them into the crib. It's okay to rock and feed but if they fall asleep wake them slightly so they know they are going into their crib (he will probably get mad about it the first few nights but it will stop in a couple of days)
    Make sure the bed time routine is the same every night so he knows what is coming. For my son it's bathtime, and then he takes his milk while being read to and sang to in his room for a little while and then he goes straight in his crib. It's important to do it in their room too.
    Up until 2 weeks ago my son wouldn't go to sleep by himself... we changed our routine... no rocking and feeding to sleep (which we were doing) and we didn't always keep him in his room either... sometimes he fell asleep in his room, sometimes the living room, sometimes our room.
    Expect a little crying
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:02 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I agree. Start with a routine. Maybe play some nice lullaby music right before bed, but if you're just starting to get your baby to bed in the crib or getting him/her to get themselves to sleep, expect some freaking out. That's what babies do!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 11:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009