how many times a day should i breastfeed my 7 month old

an for how long??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remeber that breastmilk is your baby's nutrition until he/she turns one. I fyou have introduced solids, then they should still be kind of a dessert. Some avocado mashed with breastmilk, baked sweet potato, pureed peas, etc.
    The very best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron; you should be able to find a copy at your local library. There is some great information on the website (cut and paste) www.superbabyfood.com.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I feed my 7 months old 5 timesa day for as long as he will nurse (he's so interested in getting down now that he can crawl it's usually a max of around 15 mins). Three times/day I nurse him after the three meals, once as a snack in the afternoon, and once at bedtime. He seems to be growing fine and this is consistent with what I've found in magazine and online.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I cant tell you how many times with a number, but feed on demand and let him nurse as long as he wants
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:22 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• My baby's doctor said around that age 8 times or more. But, my baby was only nursing 5-9 times a day.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• minimum is 6 at that age according to my LC..nurse before all solids...nurse every 3-4 hours during daylight and on demand at night...refuse solids if nursing is refused..nursing is more important, solids are for fun and textures not for nutrition
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Whenever baby wants. Always nurse on demand for as long as baby needs. There's no need for a set schedule or time limit.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 8:27 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• There is no set amount since all babies eat different amounts. Breastmilk should be offered BEFORE giving solids and at any other time the baby wants. Nurse on demand. At that age my first nursed about 8-10 times a day, but my second was much more efficient nurser and only nursed about 5-7 times a day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2009

• If you're feeding a 7 month old 8 times/day that means you would still be on roughly a 3 hour feeding schedule around the clock. Since a baby that age should be sleeping through the night, that can't be the recommendation. 5 to 7 was the recommendation in everything I looked at for that age. And I don't believe in a nurse on demand philosophy. By all means, feed a baby when they're hungry, let them nurse as long as they want, but I'm a firm believer in schedules.

Answer by missanc at 8:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2009