Ok, here's another one that i am sure is going to upset people.....

The Pledge of Alligence (sp?) says "One nation under God" but where does it say which god it is referring to? Couldn't that one phrase apply to more then one god?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There is only one God.
    Anonymous

• under whatever God you choose sounds reasonable to me

Answer by admckenzie at 4:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Well for one the "God" part was added in the 40's I believe... ( don't quote me on it) and as for which God... it doesn't say... but is assumed it's the Christian version of God... now we can change that and either take God back out or just simply add "Goddess" to it... (which by the way when saying it I do say...)
    JMO....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:47 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yes, although the people who wrote the pledge of allegiance likely didn't imagine how many religions would eventually be saying the pledge of allegiance.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• the actual pledge says no such thing. that's the bastardized version, and it stil doesn't represent all Americans when the phrase 'under god' is included.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• nope.. its capitalized. other gods are not.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• 1st answerer: no, there are thousands, all fictional.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Shane... all Gods are capitlized... what is the difference? There are many Gods/esses...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:50 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• I'm pretty sure it means God, God.. the regular one. That all presidents worship, and most people were thought to.
    Anonymous

• Answered at 4:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 by: Shaneagle777 nope.. its capitalized. other gods are not.

In many instances other gods are capitialized when refered to simply as "God".

Answered at 4:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 by: autodidact the actual pledge says no such thing. that's the bastardized version, and it stil doesn't represent all Americans when the phrase 'under god' is included.

This is basically what I would have said.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 5, 2009