Am I a liar?

My sis and I were having a conversation one day and I made a statement she disagreed with. I stuck to my guns however, and one day a couple of years later we revisited the subject. In that time I had gained more information on the subject and had changed my stance, and said so. My sister said I was a liar because my new opinion was directly opposite of what it originally was. I say I just changed my mind- she says I'm a big fat liar. Who's right?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 4:56 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We all live and learn and change our stance on things. It doesn't make you a liar to change your mind about something.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Things change. People change. Times change. In two years time I'm sure a ton of Obama voters will wish they'd never voted for him just like a ton of Bush voters did. Does that make them liars because they once supported something that they no longer do after finding new information? Nope. You win. She's petty.
    Anonymous

• I can see where she's coming from. If you were adamant that you were right and she was wrong, then came back and said, well I read more info, and now I think the opposite, I'd be irritated. You probably should have said you know what, you were right! I've realized blah, blah, blah. If you believe the opposite now, then you are saying that you were wrong before and now you're right.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:28 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• SOunds like she is being closed minded about the subject,she shouldn't be unfair about it either because whats gonna happen to her when karma does the same thing to her?! I sure change my opinions often times a lot. Don't worry,let it pass and maybe try to avoid those conversations with her,especially if she is gonna be respectful about it..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 5:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• As women, we are ENTITLED to change our minds as often as we want for whatever reasons we want! LOL!

YOU ARE NOT A LIAR!

Everyone is entitled to change their mind and it certainly does not make you a liar to do so.
    In fact, it makes you more enlightened that you saw and accepted the possibility that your stance was incorrect and in learning more about the situation, you re-evaluated your position.
    craftin4fun

Answer by craftin4fun at 5:29 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• That's silly to call you a liar if you have changed your mind. Your sister seems to not understand what the word "liar" means. A liar deliberately tells something that isn't true. You did not do this.

Answer by Bmat at 5:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No, it's an opinion, and now that you have been more educates on the subject, you can have a more educated opinion. It was smart of you to research the topic. Not many people do this and they often formulate an opinion based on what they have heard other people say. A lie is when you say something that you know for certain to not be the truth. For example, if someone were to ask you if made your bed, and you knew it was not made but you said yes, that would be a lit. It sounds like your sister needs a lesson on the difference between truth and lies.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• No changing your mind is not the same as lying.
    lie - n. -
    1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
    2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 5:48 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• You are a liar if you deliberately say something that is not true. You are not a liar when you hold an opinion but then change that opinion when you find new information. That makes you an open minded person willing to change her mind. Ignore your sister.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:00 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Changing your mind is an option, knowingly telling a falsehood is a lie. You did not knowingly tell her something false, you changed your opinion on a certain subject later. You are not a liar. However, your sister sounds like she loves to argue, and needs to get a grip.
    crystees_mom

Answer by crystees_mom at 6:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009