Is it okay if my 11 month old eats peeled cucumber?

DesignerMom0801

Asked by DesignerMom0801 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Huh? Why would it not be ok? Does you're 11 month old have teeth?
    Anonymous

• I was just wondering if it was something I have to wait for like eggs and peanut butter.
    But she has 8 teeth.
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 5:34 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• If there is no history of allergy in the family it should be okay, as long as he doesn't choke
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:35 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Yeah she should be ok with just watch her.
    TOMUCH_2FAST

Answer by TOMUCH_2FAST at 6:54 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• if she knows how to chew/mash up food well with her 8 teeth, then, i say go ahead, try it. just cut it up in tiny pieces to prevent choking. my dd loves to snack on cucumber, it's a yummy healthy snack.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• The seeds might cause painful gas. Cut the cucumber in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon! Other than that make sure you cut it into pieces that your child can handle! Our garden produced so many cucumbers this year that I have been trying to find recipes for that the kids can eat. I sometimes mix cucumbers with yogurt and make a greek sort of thing for my son!
    lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 7:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2009

• Go ahead and let your LO eat it. Since this is their first time I would watch them to see how they do. My neice was eating sliced cucumbers, unpeeled since she was 4 months old. She loved to just suck on them until she was able to swallow it. With the whole waiting until your LO is a year old for peanuts and eggs and such, DONT wait. There are new studies that show if you wait your children are more likely to have an allergy. They will build an immunity to them if you give it to them early. Just make sure there aren't any history of food allergys in your family. My LO has been enjoying peanut butter and eggs since 6 months old and nothing has happened.
    dressallinblack

Answer by dressallinblack at 10:03 PM on Jul. 5, 2009